Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pre ban AK

AzRednek

What is unique or different about a pre ban AK 47 ?? I’ve also heard and seen references to pre ban AR-15’s. My AK is from the 80’s and my Colt AR is from the early to mid 70’s. Are there any mechanical differences??

Im told by a shoestring relative the early Colt AR-15’s worked more reliably with the so called drop-in auto sears. I never tried it once because it’s illegal but I imagine it would work well. A former friend had a few legal serialized auto sears until he became a prohibited possessor after a Cocaine arrest. He claimed using the auto sear on off brand lower quality AR’s and his first assembled from parts. When fired full auto it often continued shooting until empty. Releasing the trigger didn’t always stop it shooting.

Incidentally my blind friend just sold his legal Colt M-16 A1 for $30,000. Not a bad investment costing him just a few bucks short of $1,000  including sales tax, shipping and dealer fee. The $200 tax stamp was extra. I’ve heard the NFA stamps are worth bucks to stamp collectors. My friend and I both have 1980’s China Sports AK’s. At the time China Sports was the exporting company for Norinco. I know the Norinco AK’s are in demand because there are plenty of junk AK’s out there. My friend is selling off his collection and trying to determine the value of his AK as well as his Norinco SKS. He also has a Vietnam War capture Russian SKS. My Norinco SKS was stolen. 

Mechanically, a pre-ban AK will have all Chinese (or other manufacturer country) parts in it, muzzle break, bayonet lug, pistol grip, possibly a folding stock.  Ban (during the ban era) will have no bayonet lug, and a thumb hole stock.  Truly "post ban," that is, after the Klinton ban expired, but still with the Bush 1 ban in place, as we are today, will have any stock, pistol grip, muzzle device, bayonet lug, but contain 6 (if I recall, I'd have to look) U.S. made parts, usually trigger, disconnect, sear, gas rod extension on the bolt, pistol grip, muzzle break.  Sometimes stock.  Pre-ban AK's are at a premium, certainly.

AR's, preban, as you have.  Ban era, no muzzle break/flash hider or bayonet lug and a different "name."  Post ban, pretty much identical to pre-ban.  Your Colt AR is worth some bucks.  Hate to put a number on it, but I would GUESS well over 1500, maybe closer to 2 or 3 thousand, depending on the year of manufacture.  Some are more collectable than others.  The Norinco SKS is worth well over $500.  I mean, like it would sell instantly at $500.  Might take a while at $750.  They did import a few of them, but the later ones were mismatched, etc.  Barely over spare parts assembled.  The AK, if pre-ban, is also worth some money.  I would GUESS at over 2 thousand.  Searching GunBroker for recent sales, and actual concluded sales at that, would give you more info.  The asking price/starting price/reserve can give you some guidance, but is frequently just "wishing."

Thx Doc, I’m not currently interested in selling but my blind bud is beginning to sell his collection off. I watched as one collector at our gun club take advantage of him on several Nazi medals. When he put up his M-16 for sale a couple guys offered 15 and another 16K. Fortunately he listened to me and recently took a 15K deposit and another 15 when ATF clears it. He also has pretty much all US rifles beginning with the Krag only lacking a Johnson. He has 3 or 4 M-1 Carbines and 1911’s. He’s got a 1980’s Springfield M-1 Garrand that is highly desirable by collectors. We were both shocked seeing the value of his WW2 German K-43. He bought it unfired in the 80’s for about 300 and change. It’s still in near mint condition. He also has several pristine Mausers of various types. He has Lugers, Nazi stamped P-38’s and several pre and post war European pistols.

We had a lot of good times years ago when several us got together on weekends and did a lot of long range shooting at metal dongs with mil-surp rifles. One time we got together after dark and literally lit up a mountain with tracers and some Brit 303 anti aircraft rounds. The British ammo was designed to start fires in air to air combat. When the bullets hit something solid a small explosion and a very bright white flash that lasted 2-3 seconds.. After we packed up and drove away we discovered several Deputies and one Phx cop were near the road were watching us. I waved as I passed them and one cop waved back. We were expecting to get pulled over but it never happened. 

The cops were probably just enjoying the show, or making sure you didn't light the desert on fire.

The price of everything has gone insane now.  Used cars, guns, anything that is physical has skyrocketed.  Except gold and silver.  They are suppressed.  If the foot ever comes off the neck of gold, look out.  If he has other class 3 weapons, there's a couple of dealers that advertise in Firearms News (ex SGN) that say they give retail minus 10% for anything they buy.

The M-16 is the last of his NFA guns, he sold off his M-60 about ten years ago. It was a Scottsdale class three dealer that only offered him 15 G’s. I’ve seen it twice in the past 4-5 years. Now when desert shooters shoot full autos. Cops arrive demanding to see the the federal paperwork. I wonder how police react to Dillon’s range with his Miniguns, quad 50’s and no telling what else he might have.