Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No. 2 daughter got her wedding published

FC

Beautiful photography but I was shocked at the cost shown in the budget. I did wedding photography for a couple years back in the film era. I usually made a 100 over cost and 150 if they wanted me to stick around for the reception. I didn’t mess around with enlargements or copies and gave the couple the negatives. The photo lab was usually 120-160 and the premium color enhanced film was about $6 a roll. If the bride had a real pretty face I often did some portraits in B&W. I started when a minister friend needed a photographer at the last minute. I enjoyed doing it as I discovered weddings are ideal for connecting with single women.

I was thinking... a "budget" wedding for $12K?  What's a big one go for today?  I guess I'm just out of touch.  What ever happened to JP's and a park?  Give the kids the 11.5K left over and let them start their lives.  I guess if you have it.   The women always seem to put a lot into it, so it's worth it to them.

8 hours ago, FC said:

I can't believe it when I read the average cost is about $40,000!

I have a feeling that figure might come from wedding planners to fool one into believing they are getting a bargain. I’m not saying a wedding couldn’t cost that much or even more but as an average I just can’t buy it. As a young teen I attended a wedding of one of my mom’s wealthy friends daughters. It had to have cost mega bucks and the couple got a lot of expensive gifts. They managed to some how get the initiation list published in the paper. There were numerous celebrities names on the list but they were mostly no shows. Some people say Jewish weddings are the best. IMHO it’s Mexican weddings, a lot of beer, drunks, dancing, celebrations and simply a lot of fun.

I had to pay for one of my twin’s wedding as the bride’s family couldn’t afford it. Cost me a bit less than 2 G’s as I eliminated the sit down meal at the reception. Had a friend in the catering business kept the food costs way down. For the reception I furnished a beer keg and if the guests wanted hard liquor they had to pay for it. My catering friend got me good price for a fairly large reception room at a hotel. I know I was being a cheapskate renting the room on a week day. Paid about 1/3 of the Saturday and Sunday rent. I did the photography, film and lab cost a hair over 100. They got the negatives, two each of the photos. I passed them coupons from the lab for copies and enlargements.

My last wedding cost me about $40-50.00. License, 20 to the JP and dinner at Dennys for the couple I needed as witnesses. The couple followed us home where I opened a bottle of Champagne one of my postal patrons gave me at Christmas. The majority of the Champagne went down the sink as it tasted like sh!t. 

We organized the whole thing, start to wedding, in 6 days.  Cake, place, dress, tux, reception, the works.  I just got off a ship and we didn't know when I had to jump on another one, so, no long term planning at all.  Don't recall total cost, but I would swag it at maybe 1500-ish, say 3K in today's dollars. 

I heard that all my life. Old man said “ I remember when a Coke was a nickle and the other old man said “ I remember when no body had a nickle”.   I could see my Grandpa telling that again. Thanks Karl.