Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rice Bags

flaco

Up until now, I've been using the range sand bags... which some club member was nice enough to put together, apparently decades ago.

A few weeks back two broke spontaneously on me. The toe of my buttstock was enough for those old bags.

Anyway, I've replaced the sand bags with rice bags of my own devising.

I cut the legs off of some old Levis--I've got lots--and turned them inside out and hemmed one end. Then I filled Glad gallon freezer bags with rice, inserted them, and hemmed the other end of the pants legs.

Voila!

In particular, I took care not to fill the rice bags too full. I like to be able to nest the rifle in the bags, and if they're too tightly filled, it's a pain.

The rice wasn't my idea, but I think it's a big improvement.

flaco

Howdy Flaco,I used old britches legs to make my sand bags too but I just went down to the creek and filled them with sand and used zip ties on em'.They are a little heavy to pack if your going very far,I've thought about using corn or beans but not rice to lighten things up but was afraid that they might be to crawly to really hold a rifle steady,I've shot off tow sacks of grass seed and they work pretty well as long as they are pretty full,did you fill your rice bags pretty full ?I'd like to try and save some wieght if I could even wonder about corn cob polishing media? Jim

Remember those itty bitty styrofoam balls about the size of a bb? Those were perfect for lite weight shooting bags. We filled either pre-made bags or jeans like Flaco. Worked great. I'm not sure those are available anymore though.

Rice, corn, or beans wouldn't work down here. We have weevils that will eat into the bag to get to the grain. Mice would be a problem too.

The highway dept. uses bags filled with a type of limestone or something to hold down construction signs in the wind.

They work good for shooting bags. When they get through with the construction, they either leave the bags, or empty out the contents in a pile. I scooped some up and filled some lead shot bags with it. It can withstand moderate rainfall before deteriorating.

fritz