Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Newest toy, a Colombian FN in .30-06

Trail Rated

I finally got this back from the shop after having the metal blued. It’s one of the mysterious R. Famage 1957 (not 1952) receivers with a new Husqvarna barrel. The receiver is stamped .30 with the half-moon cut in the receiver ring to accommodate cartridges on a stripper clip, although there is some speculation that the ones stamped 1957 were new builds and not revamped Model 24s etc. like the ones stamped 1952. Either way, it’s in excellent shape. It seems to have originated here: https://centerfiresystems.com/product/belgian-fn-1950-barreled-receiver

I refinished the Fajen stock myself and chose the vintage Weaver K4 scope on high rings to match the rollover comb. The initial range trip proved its accuracy, but I may have to polish the feed ramp some — it didn’t really like loading less-spitzery 180-grain ammo. I’m also going to shape the flag safety to work around the scope. I have a replacement Buehler two-position safety if I need it, but I prefer keeping the original, assuming I can make it work. 

Then I plan to try it out on a hog hunt. 

0C748DDE-9F4B-4996-92E6-3ECF5C5A7195.jpeg

2C36433E-3950-44C1-800C-C73E33D1C1CA.jpeg

You did better than I ever did on an R.Famage!!!

Mine was a terrible mess... then..to make it worser... the original owner..D&T ed the receiver...right thru the barrel... yup... right into the chamber... not bad enough???? the rear hole went right at the damn place where the bolt lug contacts the receiver "ramps"... not very possible to any worser!!!!

Or??? Maybe if one tries a bit harder???

• 9 months later...