Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Why?

ken98k

Why do we care what goes on between Russia and Ukraine? 

Ukraine is not a democracy. Their so called hero leader has jailed political opponents, and shut down newspapers that didn't agree with  him.

I think Americans are being lied to and sucked into something that's none of our business.

I'm of the opposite opinion. There's no more equivalency here, any more than when the German college student told me in 1986 that the USSR and USA were no better than the other. I drive over an hour to work, and I listen to no less than two hours of many different news sites on the war. I also read and listen to what security advisors, our former generals, British military figures, and people on the street have to say. In fact, I was just watching interviews on the street with Russians in their 20s and 30s. I've gone to the trouble to be as informed as possible. I also have a personal interest in the Ukraine because of the kids I support, and I know a Ukranian woman. I've also spent time talking to a couple of former Russian nationals, and an American who was clearly biased toward Russia because of his Russian girlfriend. What does it matter to us? We didn't think Hitler or Kaiser Bill mattered to us until we couldn't ignore it anymore. Putin wants the USSR back, and pushback is called for.  I guess I'm the Lone Ranger on my viewpoint on the site. Gen. McMaster has an opinion identical to mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaqZ9ZYFP6U

I can tell this war and my single-minded pursuit of going to eastern Europe isn't what folks here want to talk about. I'm reminded of the greatest compliment I was ever given. A guy I never respected who was a CRNA in the Army Reserve was out at Ft. Bliss with us for our two week annual training. I was working a very difficult med-surg floor, and got off late every shift. He said in consternation, "That Harkin gives an "F" too much! He didn't mean it as a compliment. 

My weak mind makes it easy for the media to play me like a cheap fiddle. One day I could care less and say it’s a European problem, and next wish I could go over and help. The poor kids and most women tear my heart out. Even their dogs. Politics is more deadly than Covid. 

I have no doubt that I’m not deluded or deceived. It wouldn’t matter to me whether it was Ukraine, Taiwan, or Nigeria, I hate bullies and dictators. It amazes and frustrates me when people just don’t care if something doesn’t directly affect them. Like at Sunday School, when prayer almost always is about someone’s health problem, their sister’s friendthat nobody else knows, or the gout in their toe, but never for brethren who had their loved ones blown to smithereens during a church service by Muslims. Speaking of the body, Paul said, “When one member suffers, suffer.” Do they really? Not that I can see. I find that a source of great pain. At any rate, pretty good chance I’ll be in Poland in June. I’m not trashing you good folks, but I personally find this hard, and I’ve woken up every single night with Ukraine on my mind. 

A man  has to do what he thinks right.  Me ?  I say not our war..Not  our  problem It is a EURO problem   I am more worried about  the  USA'

At bottom  it is simple as all things are..We simply dont think the Ukraine is worth atomic war. 

Make no mistake. The only sure way to save them is to drive out the Russian army and that will take Boots on  the ground and if victory is to be assured a very large American army. The EU simply does not have the troops. Russia will see that as an invasion and go atomic rather than lose.

That is a lot of risk if the USA is not under attack and one we are not willing to take. I only hope that Joe, our leader, Thinks before he acts.  

karl

Gotta say the Russian army still looks like  the  Russian  army.  Bet Putin  is sad and sorry.  I suspect he has had rather harsh words with his Generals..What the Brits call a "meeting  without coffee"  :)  The winter war part 2  ???

karl

5 hours ago, karlunity said:

Gotta say the Russian army still looks like  the  Russian  army.  Bet Putin  is sad and sorry.  I suspect he has had rather harsh words with his Generals..What the Brits call a "meeting  without coffee"  :)  The winter war part 2  ???

karl

I'm surprised at how lame the Russian army seems to be. However, as dysfunctional as they seem to be, we must remember Putin's warning against interference when he first started. I have no doubt that if the U.S. gets involved, he will push the button

Yep I think you are correct. History  the French and then the Germans has shown that the Russians will  not easily or cheaply give up Russia.

If they think that they are going to be conquered, I think the Russians will say if we gotta go..we take you with us..If it was the USA in that position I would push the button...Never said I was a we are the world type.

Karl

Well sir if that is the case, the Ukraine.shot itself  in the foot

in any case 

You know I am starting to think this whole Ukrainian Russian war a tad odd. The only way NATO and the US could drive the Russians out was either atomic war or a huge boots on the ground army and most of those troops would be American as the EU just does not have the troops. Anything less was putting a band-aid on a guy who just cut his leg off, No one ..I repeat ..No one was going to Atomic WW lll. Or restore the Draft in the USA to raise that Army   Over what is at bottom a Euro border war.
Something is odd here.

karl

If you are going to fight in cities and not make or allow women and kids leave it will get nasty. Think the Battle of Berlin

Thomobaric (SP) bombs first,  as we by reports, used on Saddam's boys. 

Yep  War is nasty.

Still say not our national war and not our business

Nor do I think the EU is going to risk London..Paris and Berlin over Kiev..Yes I know the Brits left the EU  but they still will go only so far.

What the Ukraine needs is a large boots on the ground army which they are NOT going to get or NATO must be willing to risk WW lll and hand Russia an ULTIMATUM  which they are  also not going to do..

Honestly I think the Ukraine is getting screwed.

Notice the longer the fight... the harder the Russian teams get?..Such is history 

karl