Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No NATO for them

karlunity

That's what I'm suspecting.  Not just the leftist either, but the whole military industrial complex here.  That is, it isn't just a one week thing, but a decades thing.  Push here, push there, threaten, topple a government, install a crony, etc.  Putin and his backers (it's never one person) just finally either flat out had enough or is using this as an excuse.  If they stop with Ukraine, well, then the west got put in its place.  If they do continue on and rebuild the buffer country system like during the last cold war, well, then I see this NATO thing as just the excuse to do it. 

Nobody wants to see nuclear missiles on their border pointing at them.  Remember the Cuban missile crisis.   That was resolved not by getting all tough-guy on the Russians, but by negotiating away the missiles that the US had next to the Russians, in Turkey I think.

NATO was what Putin complained about, but was that the reason he took part of Georgia, two provinces of Ukraine, Crimea, and started being a threat to the Baltic states? Territorial ambition had to be the lion's share of the reason.

Georgia was "fast tracked" for NATO membership also.  That warm water port, Crimea, I think, just wasn't up for debate.  As I said, it's the Russian's only port that is open all year round.  Otherwise, I don't think territorial ambition so much as buffer zone, but the two could be considered the same, I suppose.

It should be clear to the Ukrainians that they are NOT going to get Nato armies or a no-fly-zone or ww lll. It should also be clear to the Russians that the Ukrainians can fight. So..NOW is the best time for the two to make a deal. If the Russians pay a blood price for taking Kiev, Ukraine has nothing left to deal with. But Russia does not want to lose more troops. So both sides have more to lose the longer this goes on.

4 hours ago, karlunity said:

It should be clear to the Ukrainians that they are NOT going to get Nato armies or a no-fly-zone or ww lll. It should also be clear to the Russians that the Ukrainians can fight. So..NOW is the best time for the two to make a deal. If the Russians pay a blood price for taking Kiev, Ukraine has nothing left to deal with. But Russia does not want to lose more troops. So both sides have more to lose the longer this goes on.

I don’t know Karl. Yeah it would outright stupid for NATO to engage the Russians in a shooting war. However it might be a good tactical move on NATO’s part that it’s being considered. Might help keep Putin looking over his shoulder toward Poland. 

5 hours ago, karlunity said:

You're right Karl. The longer the Ukrainians hold out the more death and destruction they bring on themselves, now and after they do finally cave in. 

• 2 weeks later...