Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sick of Me yet?

usmc0332

I have had a lot of time on my hands lately. All this has cost me so far is a $6 can of BLO, and a bit of time.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a20/usmc0332...urkontable1.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/a20/usmc0332...urkontable2.jpg

I am happy with the results. I think a test-fire is in order for tomorrow, just to feel the difference the loss of 8 1/2 of barrel and wood makes. I love short rifles. It balances nicely at 21 inches. At less than 30fps per inch less than 24 inches, I think it is worth the loss.

No - we're not sick you yet! Fresh faces keep things interesting around here!

It looks like you're off to a great start. You mentioned a $6 can of BLO... from everything I've been told, BLO doesn't dry and won't do as good a job of protecting your stock as Tung Oil or Tru-oil will. I like BLO for the warmth it seems to impart in the wood and I used a few coats on a stock I'm working on. But I'm following up with some Tru-oil just make sure I've got things well sealed. Just to be safe, you might want to look into something of this nature if you haven't already.

I do like your stock too. What did you use for a forend tip? Is that Maple?

Take Care,

Jason

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

Sick of you? Absolutely not! I think we all enjoy seeing a new face become a regular contributor. Everyone has something to offer as we collectively travel the road to sporterization nervanna. cool.gif

When somebody here does get sick of you I think we're all contrary enough to say so. Should that ever happen - do what the rest of us would, ignore it and keep doing as you been doing! laugh.gif

As the others have said so far, happy to have newer folks join in and offer their contributions to the site. That is exactly what makes the place so good to be. New people, new ideas and even more subject matter for the rest to share. Glad you are here and look forward to your thoughts and projects. swamp_thing

I like the grip treatment.

My standard stock finish has evolved to a two-step procedure: (1) seal and fill the pores with 50:50 spare urethane varnish and mineral spirits; (2) finish with tung oil.

I would say that each step is a five-coat process. With walnut the pores are big enough that wet sanding is required for filling.

I think it is great so far. I really like what you did with the grip.

At the risk of making you sick of me, I'll throw in one last suggestion that Flaco will get a kick out of: Next time think about altering the tang, slimming it down. this gives the grip a more pleasant feel. It removes the club like grip that is found on the military stock. here is a pic of what I mean:

user posted image

The bottom receiver has been slimmed. You can do this with a file. Just draw file it. As a well respected gunmaker once said to me, this is the most important 1/8".

The rear view: user posted image

Keep up the good work. I guess unemployment has some pluses. Best of luck finding a job quickly!

Z I like the tips. I see what you are talking about with the tang. I like the look. You were right about slimming down the forend. I had been pondering the same thing. I am glad I followed your advise. The maple is leftovers from the table the pic was taken on. My Dad has an old Winchester 30-30 that still looks good with a BLO finish, no retouching. It was his serious hunting rifle for about 20 years, still kicking after 30+. I figure that I can just go over it again should the need arise. It is you crazy gun fools that got me hooked on this. I was happy just blasting away with my old mosins. Now I know what I was missing out on. Thanks guys. I always like advise even if I don't follow it.

The 7.62x54r that you're shooting in your Finns is a great round.

Especially if you're a handloader... (hit, hit, nudge, nudge biggrin.gif ).

Welcome to the hobby! We'll definitely try to absorb enough of your time and money to keep you out of the bars at night!

Jason

Very nice job on that stock. Goes to show what can be done to a military stock that has good wood to start.

For some reason, every time this fellow posts a pic I get this---

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /apache/htdocs/main/index.php on line 394

Argument?

Not from me.

fritz

I have only been looking at ballistics charts since I was 12(36 now), and been looking at reloading stuff since I was about 15. One of these days I will get around to it. I had written the 8x57, and 7x57 cartridge off after reading Winchester & Remington charts. I figured they were anemic old rounds. Now I know better. There are even good bullets available in 8mm I have learned. Though my Mosins like that Silver Bear. I put 2 whitetails in the freezer with 203grn softpoints. Already my wants exceed my checkbook.

"There are even good bullets available in 8mm"

Yeah, there is a bunch of good bullets in 8mm. Some of the 8mm bullets however are intended for the higher velocities of the 8mm Rem. Mag and the new 325WSM. Be aware of this fact when making your selection! They will give disappointing results at 8x57 velocities - even those attained with hotter (but safe) hand loads.

"Already my wants exceed my checkbook" Welcome to the club. rolleyes.gif