Military Firearm Restoration Corner

AK-74

FC

• FC changed the title to AK-74

SGN/Firearms News has had some articles on them over the years.  Kalashnikov said that the reason they had grooves in the stock was because his design spec was that the AK74 weigh no more than the AKM. The 22 cal barrel just weighed more than the 30 cal barrel because the hole was smaller.  So he was forced to cut out part of the stock to make up for the weight difference.

There was a former Spetsnaz member that would write columns.  He said he had no complaints with the AK74.  That is, it had the same stopping/battle effectiveness as the 30 cal.

6 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Also, Kalashnikov and Stoner once met and talked.  Kalashnikov said "I had to make a 22 caliber rifle because of yours."  Stoner said "I had to make a 30 round magazine because of yours."

A remark Kalashnikov made to reporters after his meeting with Stoner. I’m paraphrasing, my design has been copied and millions produced worldwide. I had to barrow money to pay for my plane ticket Stoner flew in on his privately owned jet. The meeting was sponsored by the Smithsonian and I believe they met in San Francisco. I’ll see if I can find the video.

This may have been the video. There a a few hours of video of the two inventors meeting. I see now the meeting was in Virginia not Frisco. The interesting remark clearly shows the advantage of Capitalism vs Communism. If I remember correctly as I watched years ago. Stoner says something to Kalashnikov about the 30rd mag. Myself I prefer the 20 over the 30 rd mag. Guess it has to do with my shooting my AR off wooden blocks. The blocks weren’t high enough to sneak a 30 rounder underneath. 

Sorry I didn’t mean to post the same video twice