Military Firearm Restoration Corner

2022 garden

Horsefly

So far garden looking good despite hard winds for over a week. Chance of hail today. Hail destroyed the greenhouse a year ago, so had to buy tomato and pepper plants. That was a big hit with box stores getting almost 5 bucks each. Found plants for 2.00 that were pretty small but are looking good. Planted 20 tomato’s, 8 peppers, 50’ row of Israel melons,watermelons,okra,a row of yellow zuccini and yellow straight neck squash. 8’ cattle panel of yard-long green beans. 

8118CF38-A2DB-47F0-A3AA-03B9F07C5326.jpeg

Ya, I know y’all have been terrible dry. We got 1/4” last night. Our huntin lease is So. of Abilene. They haven’t had rain since October. Some wheat is couple inch tall and yellow, but most hasn’t even sprouted and only maybe 6 weeks out from normal harvest. 

We just had a big storm yesterday.  The official rain numbers from .gov are like an inch.  I think we had 2 or 3 and about all at once.  And then it froze this morning.  There goes my fruit again.  The trees were just blooming.  With that freeze, I probably won't get any again this year.  I only have 1 apple tree and 2 peach trees.

Man that sucks. I think fruit trees squeaked by here. Everything bloomed maybe 3 weeks late this year. My apricot didn’t even bloom. I’m too far south for apricots but now and then I get lucky. Peaches are my favorite. I won’t waste my money on grocery store peaches that you can shake and hear the seed rattle. 

17 hours ago, swamp_thing said:

I had no idea you all were in a severe drought down there until I just looked it up. There is a lot of the country that could use a good slow soaking. Hopefully things will get better soon. 

Swampy I’m sure it will get better just as soon as Uncle Joe’s Global Warming freaks take control of the planet’s weather and save the planet and Al Gore’s polar bears!!

Back in the 70s I visited family in California and Oregon during a bad ass drought. My first shock was in a restaurant I stopped as I drove into LA. I had to pay for a glass of water. It was a nominal fee but required by law. I think it was only a dime. I was traveling with my twins they both wanted more water. The waitress brought glasses of ice instead of water. She explained there was a limit on the amount of water a restaurant could serve one person but the bureaucrats didn’t put a limit on restaurant ice. 

My uncle in LA had to let his very green and perfectly manicured Dichondra lawn go bad as lawn watering was prohibited. Watering trees was limited by the tree’s length measured in quarts and pints. Had to cover shower drain and floor with towels and rags. Then had to take wet towels and twist them dry over a flower bed. I was told if they got caught watering the garden with a hose they could be fined by the city. People were taking their laundry to laundromats because they could be fined if they used more water than the previous year reduced by a percentage. I recall driving past a car wash. Cars were being washed by hand using buckets for water. 

After leaving LA and driving to Oregon I noticed several hotel and motels were closed. Once they reached a limit of water they had to shut down for the remainder of the month. I wound up staying at a flea bag motel with a sick looking green from algae swimming pool with several no swimming signs posted. It was just as bad in Oregon having to piss outside and not waste water flushing the toilet.

Feeling unwanted and a PIA to family trying to save water I drove back to Phoenix. I detoured through Nevada as the water restrictions weren’t as bad. The only thing I noticed in Nevada was one had to ask for water in restaurants it was no longer automatically served. At a burger joint I had to buy water in half pint containers. I was in the middle of a child custody battle and had to stay out of state until our court date. I spent a couple days in Nevada avoiding Vegas as I had to pinch pennys to feed my lawyer. It was good to be home taking a long shower without having to turn water off and on and being able to flush the toilet after taking a leak. 

Arizona and California had several court battles in the 50 and 60s over Colorado River water with Mexico complaining about just receiving a trickle putting a hardship on their farms. 

OK guys caught myself keyboard rambling again, sorry I’ll shut up and go to bed now.

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Man that sucks. I think fruit trees squeaked by here. Everything bloomed maybe 3 weeks late this year. My apricot didn’t even bloom. I’m too far south for apricots but now and then I get lucky. Peaches are my favorite. I won’t waste my money on grocery store peaches that you can shake and hear the seed rattle. 

One of my former postal patron’s family had a farm in Georgia that grew the best tasting and juiciest peaches I ever had. I tried but failed miserably trying to grow the peach’s pits. They also grew sweet onions my X would eat like they were apples.