Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Probably the last.

ken98k

As I'm no spring chicken this will likely be the last hand gun I ever buy.

I've been looking at these for some time  and today I made the decision to go for it.

CZ 75 B.jpg

Smart choice but last handgun you’ll ever buy?? Good luck but I doubt. Been saying the same to myself for years. Then one comes along oh well just one more. 

I only have one genuine CZ and it’s a mil-surp chambered in 9 Mak. Being a cheapskate I have a few Turk and one Italian CZ clones. Been a real love affair with all of them especially my Turk 45 ACP. 

I have been reading about and checking out cz75's for a couple years now. Last week I stopped in a local gun shop and they actually had quite a few, different models including a very nice Turkish made match / race gun.

Yesterday I was sitting in the Walmart parking lot waiting for an elderly friend to do her shopping. I was watching the normal freak show when I realized I had left the house without my usual concealed carry 380.  I suddenly felt like I wasn’t wearing any pants.  

As soon as my friend came out I headed the mile or so back to the gun store and bought this CZ 75 B and a couple boxes of cartridges. I have a NICS Exempt endorsement on my concealed carry permit so it was a fairly quick process.

I really like the feel of the pistol and will try to get in some range time this afternoon.

Hey Ken, I know exactly how our feel. A few times I’ve left home unarmed. Made me feel naked in a crowd of well dressed people. One time in particular I have to admit being scared. A landscaping crew were parked in a bank’s drive-thru. Their engine was shut off and I was in the middle of three lanes. To the lane right of me appeared to be an ATM service vehicle stopped. The driver got out with a tool bag and opened up the ATM machine. Being scared and unarmed I hit the cancel button grabbed my card and left rapidly. I called 911 as soon as I was sure the landscaping crowd couldn’t see me. Surprised as cops came to my home asking about what I saw. Cop told me the crew were claiming to have parked there for shade as they ate lunch and assumed since it was a Sunday the bank was closed. Since that incident I can’t recall leaving without being armed. I usually carry a S&W 38 snubby in an IWB holster. I recently bought a NAA 22 Mag and leave it in my center console. Just in case I leave unarmed again. When I picked the 22 up from a FFL. I found out my CCW expired several months ago. It took about 20-25 minutes before I was cleared in a background check. Before I was out gun in hand in a flash without having to wait.

My area in Phoenix is rapidly going downhill with gangs, hookers and illegal aliens. Recently there have been punks playing chase in their cars. They speed up and down streets, brotty around corners and seem to take delight in squealing their tires. Lasts about 5-10 minutes then their gone. Might not be so bad if it wasn’t 2-3:00 AM. Last night it was two loud motorcycles but they stopped as soon as the police helicopter arrived.

I hate to sound like a hypocrite as I did the same thing when I was 16-17 years old. I stopped after a brick was thrown at my windshield. It didn’t hit the glass but left a nasty ding on my 57 Chevy’s hood. My friend within a few minutes of getting home got a visit from a state cop. The cop lived on a corner we flew around. I was ahead and apparently the cop got his plate number but not mine. Lucky for me my friend didn’t rat me out claiming he didn’t know who I was. A few months later my friend was arrested by city cops and the state cop was there. The state cop said something to him like I warned you that I’d be watching everything you did. Charges were dropped as my friend was 17 about a few weeks short of his 18th birthday. He was getting it on with a willing 13 year old. 

Anyhow as I started keyboard rambling again and back to my Turk clones. I only paid about $300 each for them about the same time the Obama shortages had stopped. The not pictured genuine mil-surp CZ 9Mak only cost about $220. I bought the compact 9MM intending to carry it concealed but being all steel and not a lightweight alloy frame or slide. It was to heavy to carry comfortably inside my waistband. Occasionally I carry the 9 Mak in colder climate with my shirttail covering it up outside my waistband. I feel considerably more secure carrying 12 vs the 5 rds of my 38. As heavy as the all steel 45 is I did carry it concealed as I used to go into the rough neighborhood to collect rent at night. I had previously 86’d a non paying family. The family had three hot looking teenage girls. A few times a crowd of teen boys tried intimidating me while I was cleaning the house up after it was vacated. I found out after they were kicked out. The teenage son was selling Meth and Pot out of the garage. I’m sure I PO’d some of his junkie customers. I very openly carried the 45 with a shotgun in my truck’s cab while I did the yard work. I eventually got the renter to meet up halfway with the rent check or I’d pick it up on a Sunday morning. Going into that hood at night is like going into Mexico. Numerous parties, loud Spanish music playing and teens dancing in the street.

My complaint with the 45 were the very cheesy ill fitting plastic grips. I ordered CZ wood grips for the 9 and 45. Don’t know if it was intentional but real CZ grips the screw holes are off about 1/16 of an inch, possibly even less just very slight. I sold both sets on eBay recouping most of my investment. I eventually found wood grips specifically for the 45 from an eBay seller in Turkey. Cost me about 50 bucks but well worth it. I’ll post a photo later if I don’t have it in my files. My 45 as with other clones I’ve read about on the net. The slide staying open on the last shot is unreliable. Foolishly believing what I read. A Facebook poster claimed it was the magazine and a Mec Gar mag would fix it. A $36 Mec Gar mag wasn’t anymore reliable than the mags furnished with the pistol. Neither the Turk or Italian 9MM clones have a problem staying open. 

Sorry about the crummy photography, my iPad doesn’t have a flash. The US GI canvas holster is a near perfect fit but won’t fit the leather 1911 holster. I usually keep the 45 handy and ready in my bedroom. The hammer is in the half cock position safety on and makes the first D/A trigger pull smooth after dropping the safety. With the hammer down home it’s difficult to not pull to the left on the first shot.

35B89E3F-D71E-4BE7-8691-A094667E7DEF.jpeg

EDA79A6B-AF3F-4D2B-992A-22E1AC3C222F.jpeg

1409D6CE-8064-4526-A501-86D564EDE4FD.jpeg

13 hours ago, AzRednek said:

BTW Ken, is the genuine CZ all steel or a lighter weight alloy?? 

All steel.  This thing was meant to be used hard and used for many years.