Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Armscor 1911, it's a keeper

swamp_thing

20220417_203036.thumb.jpg.a7f8fdf0414c7f84f49de23393bd1d82.jpgI broke down and bought one of the Rock Island 1911a1's a few years back. This full sized 45ACP pistol has proven itself in functionality, reliability and accuracy. It exceeds my ability in accuracy and never gives a hiccup. It will last my lifetime without a doubt. And besides all that, it looks nice. 

I’ve been tempted to get a 10MM pistol. The current deal killer is the cost and scarcity of ammo. 

If I were to get another 1911, it would likely be the Armscor. The Armscor corporation is Philippine owned but they set up a manufacturing facility somewhere in Montana to make the Rock Island. In an interview I saw on YouTube they were developing forged rather than investment cast frames and slides. I assume Armscor hasn’t started production yet as I haven’t heard anymore about it. To the best of my knowledge, only the Springfield and Taurus 1911s use a forged steel frame. Not that there is anything wrong with investment cast like my Remington but the forged steel frames will likely last longer from wear. 

I’ve been patiently awaiting more like hoping Beretta would build their PX in 10 MM but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Pistol manufactures are getting away from hammer fired in favor of striker fired. 

7 hours ago, AzRednek said:

I’ve been patiently awaiting more like hoping Beretta would build their PX in 10 MM but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen. Pistol manufactures are getting away from hammer fired in favor of striker fired. 

The concealed carry market is pretty hot right now. Those people want light weight, high capacity, plastic semi's.

16 hours ago, swamp_thing said:

I looked at their website and they say the frames are cast and the slides are forged. Both are listed as 4140 steel. I saw no mention of them changing over to forged frames. Either way they are very well made I think.

Swampy, several years ago a neighbor’s son was visiting. He is an engineer from McDonnel Douglass Defense. He claimed properly done investment casting is superior to forged parts. He had a AMT Hardballer Longslide. The slide and frame rails were worn after 10,000 rds. He spoke in tech terms way above my pay grade claiming an idiot did the investment casting. He pointed out what appeared to have been a bubble on a rail. I think Ruger has proven the strength of their investment cast frames. 

AzRednek

I doubt highly that I'll ever come anywhere close to 10,000 rounds at this point. That would be a lot of shooting. And then there's the lack of supplies to feed it. Hopefully that will get better sometime down the road. I dont think it's too likely anytime soon.

4 hours ago, FC said:

I thought the 1911's only came as .45 ACP?

Colt Has been chambering the 1911 in .38 Super Automatic for just about a 100 years and the Delta Elite in 10mm auto for 35 years. 

1911's in 9mm Luger are pretty common these days.