Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Desert Eagle a flop??

AzRednek

So, they show some history, then end with "largely considered a flop" end of vid.  I'm calling BS.  The gun is not a flop, it is quite successful.  It is completely useless.  Too big to carry, to large to work the controls (bad ergonomics unless your hands are the size of Andre the Giant), top rounds (50AE, 429DE) are too powerful to hold on to the gun and make it function.  Totally useless.  I love it. 

Got to handle one but never got a chance to shoot it. I look at the Desert Eagle as a fun gun and possibly for use in handgun hunting. From photos I’ve seen of the Desert Baby Eagle. It appears to be just another CZ clone made in Turkey with a healthier price tag. I’ve blown up photos of the Baby Eagle and saw made in Turkey stamped on the frame. 

I drew the same conclusion about my S&W 460. Pretty much useless and not fun at all after a few shots. Took it along on a couple unsuccessful HAM hunts (handgun, archery, muzzle loader season) for Javalina and Deer but never got a shot off. I’ve had my 460 on the trading block looking for a M1A or possibly an all original US Krag. Originally wanting a S&W 50 cal but after shooting five rds I said no way. I hit the target dead on first shot but flinched terribly on the remaining four shots. My 460 is very accurate shooting 45 Colt with recoil milder than 38 Special. 

I never handled a Desert Eagle  but I've always  been intrigued by them. I've always thought I'd like to have one with a holster permanently mounted to my atv. Kind of a modern horse pistol.

• 8 months later...

I picked up the Desert Eagle from the FFL thursday evening. It is a massive piece of machinery. As heavy as it is, there is no doubt that 44 mag recoil will be a non-issue. I was going to try it out today but it's too cold out. (-17*)

Well that was a short but sweet love affair.
Went to the range today, fired one, 8 round mag, accuracy was very good, especially considering I was mostly just checking for function, spent cases went to my right rear and I was able to find them all. Recoil was mild.
However, I had 3 failures to completely cycle, I had to manually push the bolt closed on those 3.
Does the gun just need to be broke in? Maybe, but I'll never know. I wont own a firearm that I don't completely trust.
This one is for sale. 

Dang, Ken.  I dunno.  You do need to make sure that what you shoot is really full power.  And you have to be real careful to grab onto it very tight.  I can't get it to work right with the 50DE rounds, and the 44MAG I shoot are very full power hand loads.  I say get some hot ammo and try it again.  As I said before, it is totally useless, that's why I like it.