Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nope to big RVs!

FC

For some reason I can’t figure out, my oldest daughter, from Omaha,  decided to have her wedding in Miami. I’ve only flown to Orlando. Hotels were too expensive, so reluctantly, I decided to drive the wife2 dogs, and a 37 foot travel trailer down there. Saturday at 8:15, in the midst of a bad lightning and rainstorm, it got dark. Six miles or so from the park I made a left turn and struck guardrail on the left side. I couldn’t see it very well at all. Messed up the plumbing area and trim, and destroyed the tubes that hold drainage hoses. To top it off I was a dummy and forgot the specialty 50 amp power cord! No more big rv’s! I couldn’t find anything but a 30 amp cord, and a 30 to 60 amp adapter wouldn’t work. Wife said we weren’t heading home. Yeah, crazy get-up, but we had one air conditioner! 

4681EE1A-83C2-4D3B-AA1E-1AEF61A890CE.jpeg

03160BAE-5B25-42F8-BE10-8D9C1482906F.jpeg

46EBDE7D-BA82-42A3-A735-164CB8987F50.jpeg

696921EB-7494-4612-BEDA-DC144CAD0F50.jpeg

Here's mine. I'm not sure how much I'll get to use it this year, I've been out of work with vision problems since early February. 

00p0p_9uVFdZj53bvz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Is that a diesel? I've read fuel prices in AK are among the highest.

Dr. Hess- yeah, with the pickup length, then the travel trailer length, it's at least as long as many semis. I went through a toll area in Florida that had concrete dividers on both sides. There were mere inches on both sides. A little late I realized the right toll area was wider. It's just too much stress. I've got a 1998 27 footer that's actually on the short of height side of things, and I manage pretty good with it. Pondering an older Air Stream, or maybe a shorter Grand Design. Problem now is build quality of RVs is real bad.

2 hours ago, FC said:

Is that a diesel? I've read fuel prices in AK are among the highest.

Dr. Hess- yeah, with the pickup length, then the travel trailer length, it's at least as long as many semis. I went through a toll area in Florida that had concrete dividers on both sides. There were mere inches on both sides. A little late I realized the right toll area was wider. It's just too much stress. I've got a 1998 27 footer that's actually on the short of height side of things, and I manage pretty good with it. Pondering an older Air Stream, or maybe a shorter Grand Design. Problem now is build quality of RVs is real bad.

It's powered by a Ford V-10 so it does burn up some gas.  I also have 23' 5th wheel  but it was always a problem  finding someone to go along to bring my ATV's and such. 

I never towed or stayed in one but I hear the Airstreams are a jewel.

Red Rocks july 21.jpg

5 hours ago, FC said:

We've thought about Airstream, but they're pretty expensive, even new used ones.

Ya, crazy expensive from my perspective.  I'm really surprised no one is making a less expensive clone.

I've seen Airstream clones for decades.  Don't know if they are cheaper or not.  When I was a kid, I did not have fun travel trailering.  We did see the Airstreams and it always was "wow, that's nice."  We had a small Scotsman and the implication was that only rich people could afford the Airstreams.

There are a lot of people rebuilding them these days.  My friend got one and went through the whole thing, making it like new inside and out.

8 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

the implication was that only rich people could afford the Airstreams.

Probably true! :D

I was never involved with RV's until I turned 60. Suddenly sleeping in a soggy tent seemed to have lost its appeal.

Years ago Silver Streak and Streamline were competitors. Avions are or were top shelve too. Holiday Rambler we’re well built but not aluminum. In-laws built chassis for travel trailers, mobile offices and temp. bank buildings. I worked for them several years and seen lots of different brands and Holiday Rambler always impressed me. We had a 2016 27’ Wildwood I bought because of the chassis and wife choose it because of colors snd layout. Cheap built junk. Hail totaled it 1 year ago. She bought replacement insurance so we came out a winner. She doesn’t think so and is looking at them again but she wasn’t the one repairing all the cheap crap between trips. Gas prices has slowed her hunt for another. 

On 5/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, FC said:

For some reason I can’t figure out, my oldest daughter, from Omaha,  decided to have her wedding in Miami. I’ve only flown to Orlando. Hotels were too expensive, so reluctantly, I decided to drive the wife2 dogs, and a 37 foot travel trailer down there. Saturday at 8:15, in the midst of a bad lightning and rainstorm, it got dark. Six miles or so from the park I made a left turn and struck guardrail on the left side. I couldn’t see it very well at all. Messed up the plumbing area and trim, and destroyed the tubes that hold drainage hoses. To top it off I was a dummy and forgot the specialty 50 amp power cord! No more big rv’s! I couldn’t find anything but a 30 amp cord, and a 30 to 60 amp adapter wouldn’t work. Wife said we weren’t heading home. Yeah, crazy get-up, but we had one air conditioner! 

4681EE1A-83C2-4D3B-AA1E-1AEF61A890CE.jpeg

03160BAE-5B25-42F8-BE10-8D9C1482906F.jpeg

46EBDE7D-BA82-42A3-A735-164CB8987F50.jpeg

696921EB-7494-4612-BEDA-DC144CAD0F50.jpeg

Even the small newer ones are 50amp. Ours is under 30’ and 50a. Anything prepped for 2 acs

Over the last few days I've been getting my class A out of winter storage. Yesterday I started filling the water tank only to discover I had not properly drained the water heater last fall.  :angry:

Found a new tank on ebay, $250 :(