Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Big snake

Horsefly

My Grandpa killed this rattler the day he was moving from the farm he lived on 80 something years. This was about 1975. His German Sheppard stated knocking down my little brother to get him away from snake while fishing on stock pond for last time. Snake bit dog and Dad started to shoot him but he survived. He was one sick puppy. Grandpa was 6’2”. 

D7A233C2-478C-46F9-949E-935A68C86C55.png

We have copperheads and water moccasins, plus a variety of non-poisonous ones.  Supposed to be some rattlers too, but I have never seen one.  The guy who used to live across the street would kill the water moccasins and lay them out in the road in front of his driveway.  I think he was showing them off for everyone driving by.  There's a black rat snake that hangs out in my shop sometimes.  I thought he was gone when i didn't see him for months, then he came back for a couple weeks and is gone again.

A buzz-tail crippled my favorite uncle, a great uncle lost a leg when he was 12 from rattler bite. We had several dogs killed and a beef calf for our years meat ready to go to processor get bit and ruined him. Old man next farm over got bit stepping off his tractor and leg withered away. Even with all those scary memories, copperheads and moccasins were what we feared the most. Copperheads can be anywhere and moccasins are just plain mean. They’ll bite you out of boredom. City has surrounded me but still have moccasins at my little creek. Couple folks get copperhead bit in town every year. 

3 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

We have copperheads and water moccasins, plus a variety of non-poisonous ones.  Supposed to be some rattlers too, but I have never seen one.  The guy who used to live across the street would kill the water moccasins and lay them out in the road in front of his driveway.  I think he was showing them off for everyone driving by.  There's a black rat snake that hangs out in my shop sometimes.  I thought he was gone when i didn't see him for months, then he came back for a couple weeks and is gone again.

Just knowing he's there somewhere would freak me out!

Well, he's not too bad.  I named him "Monty."  Short for "Monty Black Rat Snake."  I have so much poison in the shop for the mice, I don't know how he survives if he is eating things in there.  First time I saw him, I just reached up on a cabinet for my TV remote control (I use it to monitor the security cams) and didn't even see him there.  I mean, like he was right next to it with a bunch of wires.  "Sneaky Snake."