Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M91-59 Mosin Carbine

NorthWind762

Took out the trusty M91-59 last week. It was Cold!! There is nothing more interesting than shooting a MN carbine, except for shooting the Mn 91-59 in below wind chills. You get the Typical FireBall of the mn and the feel of russian winter. Overall the carbine grouped quite well 9 out of 10 rounds in a 5" circle at 100 yards with Albanian FMJ. from a kneeling pos! The wind wasn't too bad because i was surrounded by trees. but it was fun! I love the smell of commie gunpowder!

NW

• 2 months later...

I just got a week ago at a show around here. Never have seen one until now. M38's were going for the same $$$ 150USD. So I picked it up. Going to try mine with 4rds of every type of 54R ammo I have over ther Presidents Day long weekend. Early CIA import with the import mark under the barrel. New LAM stock , blueing okay. Has a new chrome plated bolt that hasn't had much use. Barrel is so-so.

• 5 months later...

The barrel on the 91/59 is reportedly heavier than the one on an M38 or an M44.I have never miked one to determine if this is true but have heard this attributed to these carbines due to the fact that they are cut down 91/30's.A heavier barrell leads to better accuracy.

Being cut down 91/30's it stands to reason that the rifles would be in good shape.Most that I have seen are in great condition.It just wouldn't make sense for an arsenal to go to the trouble of cutting down a worn out piece.

My project rifle was a 91/59 with a pristine barrel.I put the action into an ATI stock,added a sniper bolt and a Makarov.com scout mount topped off with a Tasco 1.5X4.5X long eye relief scope.I've been very very pleased with the accuracy of the finished rifle.It is as accurate as any rifle I own and moreso than some.

Stan