Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Time to adjust FC

karlunity

I felt retired when I had to ask what day of the week it is. Friday is no longer that impossible feeling goal to reach every Monday morning. Not being awaken every morning electronically is fantastic. I had a dream job but still 7 years later feel like I’m on vacation. Your going to enjoy life more than I bet you realize. 

Since the work from home (WFH) thing, I have set my alarm clock maybe 3 times.  I just get up whenever I feel like it, usually between 0530 and 0630, make some coffee, wander into the computer room, turn on the company laptop at 0800.  If they said no more WFH, I quit.

I am getting up at the same time to get outside to work before it gets hot. I feel like I need to get in the car and go to work. I work in a nap with the two dogs in the heat of the day, then go back to it. Wife seems to think I'm the new little lady in the house, and I need to make supper (I can cook). I would like to take the e-bike out more, and get up to South Dakota this summer. Hard to do when the gardens are taking off, and fuel is high. 

So far I've gotten into the the dewberry thicket along the highway, working on the decking in the front, put up a homemade clothesline, work the garden every day, clean up the shop a bit, and mow an acre or two. Too hot in TX right now to go work on "St. Bubba's". 

The gardening area is pretty big, and it's all drip irrigated. Something like 60 5 gallon buckets, about 8 animal feed tubs, and four gardens. Blackberries still aren't producing like they should, but there's about 50-60 green bean plants that are doing well, and almost that many tomato plants, plus other stuff.

Barbara's mom lives with us. She's bent over and frail. She had a lung wedge resection, and malignant nodule was just found, so she's getting radiation. Makes getting out and about harder.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts fellas. It's good to have projects. It'll take a year or two, but I have a stock roughly cut out of mesquite for a flintlock I'd like to make, and a roughed out mesquite stock for my Yugoslav Mauser. 

I have a huge mesquite in front yard that’s splitting in 3 sections. I put big eyebolts and cables to truss it up couple years ago and we set all time wind records this year, so fingers are crossed. Have another nice one at back and 2 smaller. Farmers and ranchers hate them but they’re my pride and joy. I would love to see your stock. Dry mesquite is harder than woodpecker lips, so orta be fantastic stock. Going to So. Dakota has been on my mind for a while, but like you, gas price says not now. 

My grandpa had a huge mesquite tree, which is quite rare. It started to split, so I had it sawn up in 1996. Yup, it's hard, but it's brittle. 

South Dakota was where I was born. Very peaceful in both the farming towns and the prairie. I love to watch the ducks and geese on the sloughs.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:49 PM, FC said:

My grandpa had a huge mesquite tree, which is quite rare. It started to split, so I had it sawn up in 1996. Yup, it's hard, but it's brittle. 

South Dakota was where I was born. Very peaceful in both the farming towns and the prairie. I love to watch the ducks and geese on the sloughs.

I loved South Dakota, my close friend's daughter foot the bill and we visited all the tourist hot spots. I wore a MAGA hat most the time and got plenty of handshakes from strangers. 

Years ago, mid 70's. One of my auto parts customers traveled around desert locations cutting down Mesquite trees. He sold Mesquite drill blocks via mail order ads in trade magazines. According to his former employer. He quit his job to fill a large order he got from a Taiwan factory. Here in central Arizona Mesquite trees grow like weeds. Mesquite trees that get a lot of water tend to split apart and heavy branches fall off. The hard Mesquite grows wild and gets just enough water to keep it barely alive. I found out after allergy testing years ago I'm allergic to Mesquite and avoid it. 

On 6/9/2022 at 2:49 PM, FC said:

I recall a thread many years ago in which someone had a bunch of gun blanks sawed from mesquite and stored them in an attic, was that you?