Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tomato crop just turning on

Horsefly

That cellar orta work great but take several for storage to hold enough for a family. The dirt root cellars I grew up with were maybe 10’x10’. Hole dug about 7 ‘ deep. Cedar poles layed across top. Then dirt from hole mounded over the poles. Looked like a huge grave. All canned food was stored there. No A/C in house do canning would spoil. It could be 105 but feel cool down in cellar. Potatoes, onions and turnips lasted all winter. Pears were picked in fall,wrapped in newspaper and stored under a bed. They would keep to about Thanksgiving but we’re usually all eaten before they ruined. My brother just said the cellars probably under 8’ wide. I hated going to cellar during a storm because copperheads like the cool place too. 

The poles were layed across top of the hole like a ceiling, then the dirt piled on top mounded up like a new grave so water would drain. A door was on one end with steps dug down to floor. Sometimes wood steps or stairs were built. The doors never faced west. That was directions tornados came from. Cellars were as much for storm shelter as food storage. I can see a project of finding and taking pics of dirt cellars. We thought only rich people had cement cellars.