Military Firearm Restoration Corner

9X18 Makarov revolver

Horsefly

My brother has boat-load of 9x18 MAK ammo and ask me if there was ever a revolver chambered in it. Us 3 brothers and a nephew have PA-63’s and they won’t chamber hollow points. At least not the flavor my brother bought. 

I had the same problem with HPs. At one time I had four PA 63s I bought cheap using them as trading goods. I just can’t recall the brand as all I have left is what is in the mag of the PA 63 I kept. The behind the iron curtain HP ammo is copper washed, Berdan primed and the HPs are reliable. I think it was Hornady or another name brand USA mfg that wouldn’t empty a mag in the PA without at least one failure. They worked fine though in my Russian Mak. A neighbor claims he’s using 380+P HPs in his PA 63 and Bulgarian Makarov and they run reliably. Don’t know if what he says is true as I’ve never seen 380+Ps other than Buffalo Bore hard cast. I’ve put plenty of 380s through my PA and Maks. The 380s run but accuracy is piss poor after 15 yards launching a .355 bullet down a .363 bore. A few years ago after a box of 380s copper fouled the bore of my Mak and it took some scrubbing with Sweets solvent to clean it out.