Military Firearm Restoration Corner

anyone out there Rethread barrels?

bubbamauser

Roy

I have 18 Turk actions so I'm learning to do this for myself.

If you are only doing one or two I can see that it wouldn't be

worth all that is involved in doing it for yourself.

I understand the machine shop situation, before I got the next 17 I

went thru just about the same thing. One shop turned me down but

I eventualy found another that threaded a barrel for me, even cheaper!

I have almost everything worked out. Unfortunatly my shop although

now nice and dry, is still unheated so progress will be slow till spring.

If you don't work something out until summer, I may be able to help.

It's still going to cost about $10 each way shiping

Was the smith only going to thread for $100?

If he would thread and ream / headspace for the $100 as well, it might

not be too steep.

Hey! if you ever travel over to Pittsburgh you could bring your stuff with

you and I could help you out.

Tinker

Many "regular" machine shops do not touch any gun work due to a misunderstanding of the law, which requires anyone working on another's gun to have an FFL. Of course if all they're doing is re-threading a barrel, they're actually just working on a gun part. Its a very fine line, but as I understand it, legal. However another overwhelming concern in such matters is liability. In our litigation crazy society I can't particularly blame them.

That said, if you can find a shop to do the work they will likely do it cheaper AND better than a regular gunsmith. As Tink said though, if the C-note includes cambering, its a bargain.

I think I gave $120 for the rethreading/chambering of the Remington barrel I just posted elsewhere - and that included reamer rental. One bill to do all this work really ain't that bad.

Something else to consider.

IF one had 17+ actions to mess with like Tinker does, could that cost be amatorized out over the cost of a used lathe and proper tooling? At $100/action X 17 of them, you'd have a $1700 lathe you could use from now on. Granted, there's no way in the world I have $1700 to spend on anything right now (and neither do I expect anyone else to either), but that's how I can justify such expenses to myself...

Tinker,

My fiance's family is in monroeville and elizabeth, I'll be out in your neck of the woods for Christmas, When I get this finished I'll have to bring it out on my next trip so I can show it off. Thanks for the offer but I already asked sonic to do it. no one here in philly I know sporterizes so this board and a few others have taught me most of it so far I've sporterized a turk(stock barrel) butchered an m48 and built a romanian ak-47 from a parts kit and a tapco flat (with all the compliance parts) I was at the valley forge gun show today and didn't even look at any sporters, this is more fun. I'll need some escape time from her family out there any good shops that carry milsurps you recomend in Pittsburg?

Guest mark d. skaggs

well the lathe idea is a good one other than the fact you need to posses the knowledge to cut threads and will have to purchase the tooling to do so and the reamers are not cheap. buying a lathe or a milling machine is the cheap part. the old man ai apprenticed under always said what ever you spend on the machine you will spend at least that much and probably more on the tooling and i can tell you from experience he wasn't wrong. at the bare minimum using solid pilot reamers and Forster gauges it will cost you $125 per caliber to be able to ream them i ream around 32 calibers right now just for round figures let's call that $4000 i paid $1850 for my lathe new around 4 years ago. and don't forget all the measuring equipment and tooling for the lathe at least another $1000 i charge around $65 or so to re-cut the threads on the Remington barrels and deepen the chamber and install and test fire x 17 actions = $1100 that won't even get you started in the lathe reamer dept. so send them to me and i'll get them done for you. www.skaggsgunsmithing.com wink.gif

I'll need some escape time from her family out there any good shops that carry milsurps you recomend in Pittsburg?

8711[/snapback]

Dunhams in monroeville (next to the mall) and North Versailles. Two good shops in Delmont, Woodlands Edge, across 22 from Walmart, and Delmont sport shop on 66, 1/2 mile north of 22.

Reloaders Outlet in Penn Hills. He has a nice 1903a3 sporter, 2 Jap type 38, one original, one sporter. He doesnt have loads of guns, but a reloading store is cool. I get some cheap bulk and surplus bullets there.

Highland sports in Murrysville, also on 22, has alot of top shelf guns. Its the only place I've ever seen a Blaser 93. He had some fine custom sporters. Not much milsurp, but good to look at. He might be closing, and was trying to sell me anything in the store at cost. He had a breakin, they cleaned out his handguns, which I think pushed him to close.

Braverman Arms, Penn avenue in Wilkinsburg, has lots to see, but the neighborhood isn't very nice.

2 Pawn shops on the north side, a block apart. Lots of guns and guitars.

I don't know any in Elizabeth or the South Hills, But I'm sure there are loads of them.

If you want to take a long ride, there is Grice in clearfield, or Cabelas in west Virginia, But you'll pass Cabeles in Hamburg on your way west.

Thats all I can think of for now, but gun shops are like Pizza joints around here.

H E L L O ooooo BJA105

Well you've certianly covered things pretty well.

I haven't been in those other shops but those guys with

the pawn shops on the North Side seem to think that their

mill surplus are Mitchel Mausers.

I forget the detials now but I just remember that when I

asked how much the answer was so far out of line it was

rediculous.

Mostly I buy from CIA or SOG.

I've been in a few shops and to auctions, all in all it's like

buying wholesale Vs retail. The shows aren't "the best"

place to buy guns but, I have seen some prices that approach

those from CIA and SOG.

Wellcome