Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finished Product!

roscoedoh

Gents,

After two years of hoarding parts, pestering my gunsmith, and working on things as I had time to, here is the 30-06 I have rattled on about for ages:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

If you'd like to know the particulars, here goes.

This is a Turkish action I bought three years ago which has a Davis May bolt. I removed the crest ala Z1R's method and polished the action. It was then fitted with a custom rethreaded Remington 30-06 barrel and I paid extra to have the sights clocked to 12. Remington sights were then added. I used a B-Square FN style mount as I wanted the versitilitly of utilizing more than one sighting system on this rifle. The smith who installed the barrel also throated it to use 220 grain bullets. With that thought in mind, I may install a Aimpoint type sight later and go hog hunting. The scope is a Nikon Buckmaster (off my 8x57) and the mounts are B-Square Interlock mounts. They're a little high for my tastes, but bulletproof. This rifle is stocked in a take-off Bulter Creek stock I bought from Davis May. These aren't a drop in fit and needed some inletting work to fit properly. The barrel is fully floated up the action and the action is fully bedded. Lastly, the entire rifle was parkerized for excellent resistance to the elements.

All in all, this has been a hell of a project and an even better learning experience. As a plus, I even managed to get my Dad interested in 'smithing with this project. How cool is that?

Here's a close up of the B-Square FN type mount I used. I had to have the rear holes re-drilled to accomodate the slightly different hole spacing of the FN mount vs the M98 mount and moreover the scope holes in the rear bridge were off-centered when I bought them.

user posted image

This stock is a Bulter Creek M98 stock made to fit a Zastava rifle. I bought the stock from Davis at a good price. However, Zastavas come with that huge gawdawful cutout on the side to accomodate their side-safety. I didn't want to mess with buying a Zastava trigger and figuring out the speedlock/commercial trigger issues so I acraglass gelled the gap shut and installed a Bold trigger. It still took some fitting, but works like a charm.

user posted image

After fitting the side-safety trigger I needed to address the difference in finish between the acraglas gel and the stock. So I sanded everything with 220 grit and spray painted it with ultra-flat black paint. It was a cheap, low tech solution, but appears to be holding up well.

I had the rifle parkerized for $95 by a gunsmith in Diboll, TX and am pleased with it overall. The once fired brass looks perfect and hopefully I'll get to take it to the range this year.

Overall, I am pleased. This is my first real start-to-finish project that only took me two years to get together. I've got a 6.5x55 that is all but finished, except for the stock, and I'll get pictures of that up sooner or later.

Thanks to all you who so graciously answered my oddball questions. Many parts of this project may not have been possible without your help.

Take care all,

Jason

You did good Jason and will undoubtably enjoy this one for a long time to come. Of course, you are now hooked and can never turn back. More projects will continue to pile up all around you until you can't see the projects for the other projects. So it is for those of us bitten by the bug. Enjoy and I look forward to pictures of your future endeavers as well. Keep up the good work. swamp_thing

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

I am quite hooked. I have several actions to work with and I will be building rifles for a long time. This is one of the most rewarding hobbies I've ever dabbled in. I have so much fun doing this, I almost wish I could do this for a living!

Enjoy the photos guys!

Merry Christmas.

Jason

Jason,

Is that a plug in the hole in the trigger guard? From here it looks like a release button.

Nice job, and two years ain't so long, especially when you're having fun.

fritz