Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dark Beer

Jimro

Okay Gents and Lady,

Tonights brew is another California offering, Sierra Nevada Porter.

Aroma is very potent, made the wife wrinkle her nose. Wife says it is "very tart, not smoky" no molasses taste either.

I say that she's right, this is a very hoppy, crisp porter. That hop taste dominates the flavor and you have to really roll it around your tongue to find the more subtle flavors. For those who like IPA's, this is the porter for you. This would go great with bratwurst sausages and BBQ.

Jimro

Black Hawk Stout, from Saratoga Springs NY.

My wifes take was, creamy texture, strong molasses flavor, with hints of coffee. She says it smells, "really beery".

My take is that it is a very mild stout, with an obvious hop taste. More bitter than sweet, with a definate bitter aftertaste. Would go well with salty food like fish and chips, or anything fried. All in all it doesn't impress me as spectacular, but very well rounded and drinkable, more like a porter than a stout. This would make a great party beer for your friends, it spreads over the tongue pretty evenly and isn't overpowering.

####

Anchor Porter: rich with a definate molasses taste. On the sweet side, with a slightly bitter but not unpleasant aftertaste. The aroma is not too strong, the the taste is well rounded with small smoky hints of flavor. A very aproachable and drinkable porter. Goes well with moderately spicy foods like pizza because of the sweetness but would accent any of the more traditional courses, from salmon to sausage to steak. This would be a definate choice to serve alongside a Puerto Rican stew.

This is very drinkable, I had the wife take a sip and she described it as "smooth", and my wife doesn't like beer.

Humph! porters and ales and stouts......sounds like a bunch of brits! now if you want beer, try some of the stuff I drink, it's called "Old Distended Bladder", brewed in the same trucks that deliver it, costs a buck eighty a six! I sent some up to Va.Tech's testing lab a few years ago....the results came back telling me my horse had diabetes.

Aah, beer!

Life is too short for cheap tasteless beer. I like Sierra Nevada pale, I'll have to try the porter.

Got a "beers of the world" sixpack from my sister in law this weekend for my birthday.

Monty's mountain cream ale is ready for the party pig. Can't wait to taste.

Secret: Budwieser is actually Guiness, filtered through the kidneys.

Well, of late, I have been sticking to Dutch beers. For some strange reason, I just seem to tolerate them better than other beers. Probably a couple thousand years of genetics involved in there somewhere.

Anyway, besides the usual, Heineken, Bavaria is pretty good. Grolsch is a bit bitter (too much hops) for my tastes. German beers will do too, and as I said on "the other board," Dos Equis isn't bad at all, being formulated 105 years ago by a German ExPat down south.

I used to drink dark beers until about 20 years ago when I figured out that the multi day headache I was getting was directly related to the _dark_ part. Lowenbrau dark was a real favorite, and still is but I refuse to drink one. Same with Budweiser. Two Budweisers will give me a 3 day migraine. Anchor Port Steam Beer is OK. I consider the Stouts to be "Grunt" beers. You know, sip, grunt, ugh, "that's good." Many home brewers make grunt beers. I make Hesselbrau, which is not a grunt beer and many people have said is pretty good.

Dr.Hess

Guest Guest_fritz

I didn't realize there were so many beer connisseurs here.

You have good taste in beer, but you fail to affect the market of beer very much.

After all, it's all about what "tastes great--less filling", etc.

And as to Budweiser actually being Guiness filtered throught the kidneys, well it needs to be filtered through something!

It tastes a bit like brake fluid and kerosine mixed together would taste like.

All you need is a Shiner Bock, if you are into that sort of thing.

fritz

Nahh,

It's because since we moved, I had to set up Invision Plus as a new cookie to save in my spyware software (Spy Sweeper). It's saved now, so hopefully I should not have to log in on every forum everytime.

fritz

When I lived in Oregon I loved beer. I haven't been able to find real beer since relocating to the South. Samuel Adams comes close to OK. I remember Anchor Steam being OK, it was available in CA, but not here in Dixie. I'd be very happy to run across a six pack of Full Sail Amber.

Quite a few of the guys back in OR brewed there own, and were craftsmen about it. There was quite a variety, and it all was damn good.

But I can shoot six deer a year here, so with the pain comes some gain.