Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dakota 3 position safety

montea6b

I caved in and recently ordered a three position safety, and am having trouble threading it onto the bolts I have. I goes on just fine on a couple thrashed older overpolished and well worn bolts, but the problem occurs on the two nicer ones I had reserved for this project. On one it binds severly and won't go more than a few threads in. On the other, it starts binding with a few threads to go, and stops about 20 degress short of all the way on.

I have inspected the threads, both sets, and can see nothing out of the ordinary. Milsurp shrouds fit fine on both these bolts. I have lightly beveled the forward edge (at the end of the threads) to more closely match one of the milsurps, and have lightly filed the thread end at the same edge in case it is bottoming out. It seems to have helped a little, but still won't go on all the way. I am hesitant to remove too much material.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I caved in and recently ordered a three position safety, and am having trouble threading it onto the bolts I have.  I goes on just fine on a couple thrashed older overpolished and well worn bolts, but the problem occurs on the two nicer ones I had reserved for this project.  On one it binds severly and won't go more than a few threads in.  On the other, it starts binding with a few threads to go, and stops about 20 degress short of all the way on. 

I have inspected the threads, both sets, and can see nothing out of the ordinary.  Milsurp shrouds fit fine on both these bolts.  I have lightly beveled the forward edge (at the end of the threads) to more closely match one of the milsurps, and have lightly filed the thread end at the same edge in case it is bottoming out.  It seems to have helped a little, but still won't go on all the way.  I am hesitant to remove too much material.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

9057[/snapback]

I agree with SOUTHPAW. There has been some discussion as of late as to people doing the valve grinding material method with tight barrel threads. If it works for that, I would think it would be fine with the shroud. I would not hesitate to do this on the shroud threads. If you think it is bottoming out you can mark the end of the thread area with inletting black, magic marker or dicom(sp) and find out real quick. I am figuring it is simply a varience in the threads. I have had bolts that some military shrouds would not screw into while others would. It seems the tolerance of these threads varied quiet a bit. swamp_thing

Well, that did it. Thanks for the pointer Southpaw!

Took a little work though. I went back to the bolt that was binding the worst since that was the one I planned on using originally. The bolt handle is already cut off so I couldn't get much leverage. I started out with gloves and doing a motorcyle throttle twisting motion, but my forearms started to swell like Popeye, so I clamped the bolt in the vice, got a thick leather pad for the shroud, and went at it with some long handled pliers. I had to clean things up, reapply paste and re-work several times before I got it to thread all the way, but it is now slick as glass.

It came with instructions Jason, but they don't cover ill fitting parts, only trouble-free installation procedures!