Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Harbor Freight 7x10 mini lathe

swamp_thing

Anyone out there using one of these. I have one that is a nice little lathe and really is very versatile. There is now a compamy that sells a 7x14" bed replacement for these lathes. It actually gives you 6" more bed from the original 7x10. I have gone through mine and tightened things up and also moved the complete control box off the lathe itself. One problem they had was shavings getting into the control box and in some cases shorting out the board. Just wondered who else might be using one and what you think of them. swamp_thing

I use a 7 x 12 that I got from Homier. I wish the spindle hole were bigger, but love it otherwise. I bought an extra bed for it and cut off the end and bolted old and new together to made a "strech minilathe" Its not perfect, but works well for turning barrels between centers.

For anyone on a limited budget (aren't we all?) or with limited shop space AND willing to accept the limitations these are terrific machines. If you're shopping though, you might want to consider Grizzley's current deal on 9x19 lathes for $750. These have been marked down TWICE in the past month from $895 originally. The tooling included with Grizzley's machines is outstanding and to purchase for the less expensive minis would double their price... but yes, the minis are a great starter, just keep in mind that its not a "big lathe" and don't overstep its intened abilities and you'll be happy!

I do already have the 7x10 and have come to really love what can be done with it. I will be changing it to the longer bed in the future. There are many that have reamed the spindle hole out so they can get a bit bigger round stock through them. Of course, you wouldn't want to go bigger than the taper size. Just thought I would see if others here were using them and what you thought. Double, did you extend your feed screw as well? I have seen that done as well. swamp_thing

Swamp_thing,

Yes I did also lengthen the screw. I cut one off and bored it out (on the lathe smile.gif ) to press fit with the second unmodified one. The trick was spacing them so that the saddle gear engaged without hiccup.

It works pretty-well, but is so long and thin that it becomes a jump rope at higher rpm.

There's a little hitch in the saddle when it crosses the joint between bed parts. I wonder if the iron-like material that the bed is made out of welds well? The best way to do this would be to weld the pieces together and then regrind the ways perfect.

I really want a bigger lathe, but there's a chance that we're going to move in the next two years. Even the stretch minilathe is easily moved.