Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lauer Custom Weaponry Duracoat

Anyone have any experience with their products? I'm looking to do a full camo job on a 7mm rem mag. Stock, action, scope and all. I was hoping to add a sand type grit to it, their site says you can add a fleck or prizms, whatever that means.

-Don

I haven't used it, but it's all the rage on the tactical forums, places like HD rifles and GA Precision use it, so it can't be bad.

but I'll stick with Krylon, it's cheap and easy. Doesn't last forever, but it gets the job done.

Jimro

I have used the Lauer coating on only one so far. I have not tried the camo yet but found the Lauer, in matt black, very easy to use. I parkerized with the Lauer zinc solution that they have, and then coated with matt black. A little goes a long way. The little detail sprayer that I used holds a little less than 2 oz. and coated everything I needed to, with at least 3 light coats. I was very pleased with the outcome. It's important is to use light coats to avoid runs. I used a regulated 15 lbs. air pressure. I tested with thinner to get a good spray before coating. I plugged the barrel with wood dowels.

I know that krylon makes a sandy grip paint and have used it on an old springfield single shot 12 ga. stock. I think it could be used prior to the final Lauer coat or as the final coat to give you want.

Just remember that proper preparation is key.

Spiris

Here is a couple of pics that I used the Lauer stuff on. I like it. It appears to be very tough, is moderately easy to appy. I went exactly by the instructions, but did not use all the pre-cut "camo tape" that came with the kit in top picture. Bottom was done mostly out of leftovers.

user posted image

user posted image