Military Firearm Restoration Corner

counter boring

Guest TONEY

Got a sog gunsmith special today, a hungarian m44. The last inch and a half of the bore is bad, looks like the bottom 1/4 of the muzzel layed in water. The rest of the bore is bright . The bayo, muzzle and forearm cap took most all the rust. I've replaced the bayo and the cap now the rifle looks good! Sto0ck looks like a red elm yugo stock

Anybody do any counter boring? I've read about turning a drill backwards to do it. Was really thinking about trying it, But i don't have a big enough drill press. What about freehanding it? If i screw it up it still would make a nice 17" sporter

It shoot into 6" @100yrds today but it could do better. The bore is better than my m38 thats counter bored and it shoots 2 1/2" or better

Anybody do any counter boring? I've read about turning a drill backwards to do it. Was really thinking about trying it, But i don't have a big enough drill press. What about freehanding it? If i screw it up it still would make a nice 17" sporter

This was discussed somewhat in the thread awhile back about the inaccurate MN by Doble Troble in the Mosin section I believe. I will try to cover what I can personally answer from my experiences. First off, if you turn the drill backwards you are not going to be cutting metal, but rather burning your way down the barrel and overheating both bit and bore. Don't run the bit in reverse. You can do this with a hand drill, but must be very careful of two things. First you must try to follow the bore as straightly as possible. Really, this is not as hard as it sounds since the bit will follow the existing hole. Secondly, and a bit more difficult, is that you must be very careful not to try and crowd the bit, as it will bite in and pull you deeper than you wish to go. If you apply LIGHT pressure and go slowly, you can maintain the cut depth and also will not leave a big burr at the beginning of the rifling. When you are at the depth you want to be, check very carefully that you have not left any burrs that will impede the bore.

You will achieve much more pleasing results if you can clamp the barrel of the rifle in a bench vise to hold it verticle while you do your drilling. I put a patch in the bore just below the part I am going to drill so the shavings cannot get all though the barrel. Then when done just push the patch out from the breach end with your cleaning rod. You could probably find a grinding stone for a dremal tool that would fit inside the counterbore and touch up your crown. Also, as a last thought, use a bit with the common 135 degree end, not one of the bits that are made with the self centering tip on them. You will need the plain vee shaped tip to cut your crown and also it will start into the bore straightly.

Hope this helps to clear up this question for you. swamp_thing

What if you pushed a slug down the barrel to where you wanted to end that counter bore so you partily drilled into it, that way it should prevent getting a burr on the rifling and when you pound it out it should remove any burrs that my be left.

That might make a difference but I honestly don't know. I wrote before in the old thread that if you want to be sure there are no burrs left you can push a cotton ball through the bore from the breach end after drilling. If there are burrs, it will snag the cotton and frey it as it goes through the counterbore area. If it comes out without snagged strands, then you would be relatively sure the crown is clean. If not, you can always us the small dremal stone to remove any burrs. swamp_thing

I hogged-out a 91/30 barrel about 1 1/2" with a hand drill. It dramatically improved the accuracy of a very poor shooter.

I'm not sure that I recommend this crude method, but if you run out of options it only takes a minute.

To really do it right I should have made a piloted cutter. I bet Brownells sells something that should work.

Just tryed boring a pice of 8mm barrel, it went good!!! think i'm doing it.

Thanks agian guys

I think it will work will shoot in the morning