Military Firearm Restoration Corner

LR barrel threads to SMR barrel threads

rwims

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Why does everyone talk about cutting down Remington barrels for the small shank Turk actions when it seems it would be easier to get a die and reduce the thead size on a large ring barrel? After all the thread pitch is the same so it wouldn't be much different than chasing the threads. If I'm wrong please tell me before I buy an adjustable die and attempt it.

Thanks, rwims

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Why does everyone talk about cutting down Remington barrels for the small shank Turk actions when it seems it would be easier to get a die and reduce the thead size on a large ring barrel? After all the thread pitch is the same so it wouldn't be much different than chasing the threads. If I'm wrong please tell me before I buy an adjustable die and attempt it.

Thanks,  rwims

9421[/snapback]

First off, reducing the thread od from 1.100" to .980" is a lot and would not easily be done by a die alone. Most dies don't have much adjustment. Secondly, Rem 700 takeoff barrels generally cost much less than LR Mauser barrels in the same chamberings. Lastly, even if you find an adjustable die that REALLy has .120" of adjustment in it so that you could reduce the diameter a little each pass by the time you were done I doubt the threads would be square any longer.

You are certainly correct in that a Large Ring barrel could be cut down for the Small Ring threads. You would need a lathe to do it, but it is certainly feasible.

Clemson

The statement about Remington takeoff barrels being cheaper than a new barrel may have been true yesterday, but have you priced them on eBay lately?

And with the Remington takeoff barrel, you will probably end up with the sight holes off center when a reamer is used to headspace them. So you end up having to use a lathe after all.

Did someone say that they were cheaper?

I just got a small thread barrel from Midway (ready to screw up to a Turk 38) for $68.

fritz

Well....

I intend on going both ways with my 03Turks.

I have Remingnton barrels for some of the std. cals (.308, .243, 22-250)

but you don't come accross a 6.5X55 Remington very often.

In the last Midway sale I bought an A&B 6.5X55 that I'll cut down from 1.1 to .98.

I have 1 1/8", 1 1/16", and 1" adjustable dies and a jig to keep it true.

Wish me luck!

Tinker

Mark,

Midway sells A&B Series 2 Mauser barrels which are threaded for small ring Mausers. The Turks in question are small ring and these barrels usually work well. Trouble is though, the available calibers for Series 2 barrels leaves a lot to be desired.

If you need something more powerful, Brownell's is offering at least 30-06 for Turks now, but it won't even be close to $68...

FWIW, I love the Remington barrel I put on my Turk. It's a little heavier contour and appears to be completely broken in as it will neither copper foul nor heat up after repeat firings. Plus, its accurate so far as I can tell. However, I don't own a lathe so this didn't end up as a cost saving project.

Jason

The price of the Remington take-off barrel on E-Bay is why I even raised the question. I can buy a LR mauser A&B barrel from Midway for just a little more, have a better selection of calibers, choose my contour, and not have to worry about sight holes. I also have two military LR 8x57 barrels that I have removed the steps on with very good bores. I was thinking of putting one in a Turk K.Kale action. I quess I better start practicing threading with my lathe.

rwims