Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How do you set headspace?

In one of my last posts hosted by that former, difficult server, I indicated that when chambering a wildcat I'll often use a formed case when setting headspace (as any good Bubba knows to do).

There seems to have been some confusion about my approach - some seem to have interpreted my description as recommending "no need for headspacing". This is not what I was attempting to indicate and so I want to clarify: When chambering you ALWAYS need to carefully set the headspace.

That said, the method for careful setting may vary depending upon circumstance.

In my case, when I'm chambering for a standard cartridge I use a standard guage from a reputable source. I have always either reamed or machined back the chamber so that after firmly snugging the reciever that I just barely feel the go guage when closing the bolt on a nice, clean chamber.

When chambering for a wildcat I establish the method for case forming first, making forming dies (sometimes what I think is a good approach gets changed later) and then chamber. I use formed cases as a go guage and ream until until I'm within 0.004" of the depth guage between the rim of the receiver and the bolt face. Then I make sure that the distance from barrel shoulder to breech end is the same distance as the outer receiver ring to the inner C-ring. If measured twice and cut once this results in a bit of hesitation on bolt closing and a nicely formed case after firing.

That's my Bubba approach, I'd like to hear how others approach this problem.

smile.gif