Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Kick my self in the butt time

karlunity

Folks.

I have been looking for a .22 revolver to go with the Mousegun.

I was in Turner's last Sat and I found not one but two in the used gun case.

Both were steel and wood not plastic!

One was 99 bucks and the other which had adjustible sights was $ 119!!!!

I had the paper work and the money but the shop was packed and I did not want to wait...I will go back on Wednesday... blink.gif

They were both gone sad.gifsad.gif

Never again, if I see a good gun and I have the loot, it is mine.

Karl the dumb.

.22 revolvers are great to have. I had two, one was a cheap (albeit good looking) RG66, made by Rohm in Germany I believe. The other was a revolver that is still being sold, the Roughrider. Mine had both cylinders, for the LR and the .22 magnum. Both went to friends who needed them more than me.

I now only have one .22 handgun left. It is a Browning Challenger 11, which preceeded the Buckmark. It is real pretty. The grips look like they are made of mesquite wood.

But I have not shot it in years. I had to modify the trigger a bit, and now I am a bit concerned about someone using it that is not used to a very light trigger pull.

The revolvers were great for shooting rat shot through. But I now reload Speer shot capsules in my .38 Spl to use on snakes. If I had put notches on the grips for every snake that ever bit the dust from it, well there would not be much wood left.

fritz

Karl, truly am sorry to hear about you missing out on the .22 revolver.

fritz, did you ever shoot that Rohm? I've still got grandmothers RG11 or 12 (can't for the life of me figure out which even though it's sitting in the original box with paperwork) but after what I hear from everyone just can't seem to want to go shoot it.

Pretty little thing though.

Yes, I shot it quite a bit. Probably handled it a bit too rough though. The things have a weakness in the latching spring on the loading gate. The gate would have to be manually returned to closed position after reloading.

The friend I sold it to was only going to use it to shoot snake shot with, so repeat reloading was of no concern to him. The Roughrider revolver, on the other hand, was well built but I could not hit the side of my barn with it. Not with the LR cylinder or the .22 rimfire magnum. So I sold it cheap, lost money on both of them.

But friends are friends. And the Rohm was nickle plated. It sure was purrty.

fritz

Karl I understand your frustration.

When I bought my .357, the same pawn shop had a little snub nosed S&W 38 right next to it for $100. 38's are underpowered and I needed that one like I need a another hole in my behind, but for the price...I could've afforded. Why not?

So I convinced myself to go back and get it. Only, it was gone. And the next lowest price on a revolver was $300 something...way more than I had or wanted to pay for anything. So it slipped through my fingers. Oh well. That's a $100 I spent in gasoline communting to the junior college I attended to pass my algebra class. That's also a $100 I spent dating a very lovely blonde for a little while.

So even though you missed out on the mouse pistol, it all evens out eventually. Just keep you eyes open you will see another in even better shape for less money and that's the one that will be yours!

Jason