Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Career Options

Jimro

Well the Air Force officer recruiter gave me the skinny on my odds of becoming an Air Force officer, less than one in ten. Unless I want to be a lab jockey chemist.

Which is ironic since my degree is in chemistry, but I don't want to spend the next fifteen years in a lab. There is nearly a 100% chance the AF would take me as a chemist, it is a "Technical" field, where a 2.5 gpa is all that is required. The last OTS board only had three applicants for the "Technical" (science and engineering) fields, they are so hurting for electrical engineers that they don't even have a grade requirement. My grades were around the 2.8 range, but since I want a "Non-Technical" job then the recommended GPA for the OTS Board is 3.2 or higher, and the records show that they prefer MUCH higher.

However, I could still enlist in the AF, directly into the field I want to be working, combat controller. However, the chances of earning a commission are still about the same, but I would have until 34 to earn a commission.

Which means that the Army becomes a better alternative. Much easier for me to get into OCS, practically assured. Practically assured that I'll get the field of my choice as well. Or I could reup and stay enlisted, maybe apply for an OCS slot before I hit 29.

I have no idea what the Marine Corps offers, and I have no interest in being in the Navy.

I loved my job on Active duty, but after spending time with a hospital unit in the Reserves left a bad taste in my mouth. I was looking for a different taste of BS in the Air Force.

I want to serve, but I also want to take care of my wife, and start a family.

My only real option for an officer career is the Army, the AF looks like it is enlisted only for me at this time. Even in a time of war the AF gets more OTS applications than it needs, by a factor of 8.

So pray for me and my family, God has a way of putting us where he wants us, but I'd like to come to a decision point and act on it soon. It is weighing heavily on my mind, how to spend the next fifteen years of my life.

Jimro

Well the Air Force officer recruiter gave me the skinny on my odds of becoming an Air Force officer, less than one in ten.  Unless I want to be a lab jockey chemist.

Which is ironic since my degree is in chemistry, but I don't want to spend the next fifteen years in a lab.  There is nearly a 100% chance the AF would take me as a chemist, it is a "Technical" field, where a 2.5 gpa is all that is required.  The last OTS board only had three applicants for the "Technical" (science and engineering) fields, they are so hurting for electrical engineers that they don't even have a grade requirement.  My grades were around the 2.8 range, but since I want a "Non-Technical" job then the recommended GPA for the OTS Board is 3.2 or higher, and the records show that they prefer MUCH higher.

However, I could still enlist in the AF, directly into the field I want to be working, combat controller.  However, the chances of earning a commission are still about the same, but I would have until 34 to earn a commission.

Which means that the Army becomes a better alternative.  Much easier for me to get into OCS, practically assured.  Practically assured that I'll get the field of my choice as well.  Or I could reup and stay enlisted, maybe apply for an OCS slot before I hit 29.

I have no idea what the Marine Corps offers, and I have no interest in being in the Navy. 

I loved my job on Active duty, but after spending time with a hospital unit in the Reserves left a bad taste in my mouth.  I was looking for a different taste of BS in the Air Force.

I want to serve, but I also want to take care of my wife, and start a family. 

My only real option for an officer career is the Army, the AF looks like it is enlisted only for me at this time.  Even in a time of war the AF gets more OTS applications than it needs, by a factor of 8. 

So pray for me and my family, God has a way of putting us where he wants us, but I'd like to come to a decision point and act on it soon.  It is weighing heavily on my mind, how to spend the next fifteen years of my life. 

Jimro

9719[/snapback]

Jimro .I'm not right up in the religion Biz but I do know that God has our lives under control & he will know which way to point you & open doors for you ! My prayers for your guidence are with you ! Try to sit back & let God show you which way you must go ! Hope this helps

Dave

Jimro I wish you and yours all the best.You've always struck me as someone who had their head screwed on straight so I'm sure that what ever you decide you'll do well at.Thanks for your service,and know that for what good it'll do, your in the prayers of this ole heathen. Jim

Don't give up yet..Check with the Marines and the Army.

See what they hve to offer.

If you liked the Army and know its ways, talk to them first.

If on the other hand you want , shall we say, a more focused environment ! smile.gif

Try the Corps.

The pay is the same as the AF, and we(Marines) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif have much nicer suits

Karl

Jim,

I read your post last night and thought about it today. I know exactly what your thoughts are because I've just graduated and I'm at the crossroads myself.

That said, follow your heart and your gut on this one. I have myself looked into joining the Navy (wasn't interested in anything else), but decided not to. You strike me as having the calling to be a military man. I think you should pursue this above all else.

So, what do you want to do? For the military that is. What area do you wish to go into? You have a degree in chemistry but don't want to be in R&D. That's fine. But what else interests you? Do you want to lead men into combat? Do you want to fly? Do you want to control the logistical side of things? What?

Decide what you want to do. You need a clear vision of where you want to be in five years. Once you see that, pursue it like nothing you've ever gone after. The military (as I found out) won't just grab everyone that comes through the door with a college degree for OCS. How are your OAR scores? Many officer ranks are terribly competitive to get into. If your screening test scores are low, study and take the test again. You have prior military experience which will probably help you out. Further, the college degree would definitely be a boost if you re-enlisted. But, do you want to re-enlist? Or do you want to be an officer?

The best educated advice I can give you is select where you want to be and what you want to do. Then decide which branch offers you the best opportunity to do it. Once you figure that out, I promise you that you'll make it happen!

Good luck with your search.

Jason