Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Empire dresser rebuild

FC

I got this dresser:

drawers.thumb.jpg.918ddcd7fb129e85665428bb6e392cc4.jpg

My aunt got it originally, probably in the 60's.  It's part of a set, armoire, 2 mirrors, 2 night stands, head board.  Solid wood.  The sliders are a bit weak, but it's a very nice set.  I forget the brand, but I think it's well known.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:10 PM, FC said:

It could pass for almost brand new. I only see some dust down near the abraded foot. Broyhill or Lane maybe?

I have no idea on the maker.  I tried to find the mark somewhere, but I think I would have to pull all the drawers out and maybe look at the bottom.  Whichever maker it is, they were known for weak drawer sliders, I think.  The set is very nice.  My Aunt had VERY good taste, and I think she had her 3rd husband, an anesthesiologist, buy this for her.

Speaking of drawer sliders, antique drawers almost always have the wood worn down on both the drawer bottoms on the sides, and the surface they rode on. Most people do not fix that problem. You have to either cut off the worn surface, and it will be worn more in the back than the front, or, if there's even to slide on, add a strip of wood just inside of the drawer sides.