Military Firearm Restoration Corner

EAA's Thor

swamprat

I have a Witness full-size polymer .45 that I really like. I have shot it around 1500 times. I only paid $300 for it. I saw the Thor and figured it would be reasonably priced as well. But I saw them listed for $900. Dang, I thought this would be priced nice as well. I am interested in a gun like this, but not $900 interested. I saw in the Winchester ballistics chart that the .500 S&W is a match from a pistol to the factory 45/70 in a rifle. I guess this isn't my way to get there. If anyone sees this listed cheaper please post. I am also interested in the Savage Striker. One of those can be had for $400 or less. My deer stand is essentially a benchrest and one of these sure would be fun to hunt with.

Not familiar with the above but I do know a thing or two about the BFR in 45-70. My two best friends are 45-70 junkies and each just had to have one! Surprisingly, with hot 300gr. handloads its no worse than a M29 w/ 240gr. 44mags. Weight does wonderful things in mitigating recoil. rolleyes.gif Also at 6' 6" I have big hands, I can see it being a challenge for smaller folks. It is a blast to shoot though! ...no pun intended

Guest HPconvert

I had hoped that the Thor would be similar to the Springfield Armory (SSP?) or the wonderful Pachmayr Dominator kits that were available some years ago. Both of these have been discontinued for quite a while. The Thor differs from both of these since it is sold as a complete gun and not a kit that can be added on to your 1911 frame. The Thor is an entirely different system that does not appear to lend itself as an add on. I guess that EAA would rather sell the whole enchelada. I am disappointed that the 1911 add on niche will remain unfilled.

The firing pin on the Thor can be damaged by not following operating procedures. I read an article that stated that the firing pin can be damaged by opening the action with the hammer in the forward position.

For the money, I believe that a Savage Striker or TC Encore would be a better buy. The Encore would offer the most versatility. Thompson Center also has one of the best factory service policies.

HP,

I read the same thing about the firing pin. I went to EAA's web site and did some looking. The $1,000 plus price tag means I probably won't own one in this life time. Just thought it was wicked looking and wondering how it shot. Guess I'll just stay with my 1911's but one can dream.

Swamprat

• 2 months later...