Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sparky likes REAL bullets

Doble Troble

Well guys I was in the market for a 0.440 round ball mold for Sparky and all Midway had in stock was this two cavity mold, 1 roundball and 1 200 grain REAL bullet.

Sparky is 45 cal 1:60 tpi and so I didn't think would shoot the minie-type bullet accurately. I cast some up to try-out and it turns-out that with ~ 75 gr of FFFg they shoot just as accurately as PRBs. I say ~ 75 gr FFFg because I've started using empty centerfire cases for measures. I used an empty 284 WIN that is about a 75 gr measure. An 8 x 57 is about 65 and a 7 x 57 is about 60. I cut-down a 30-30 case just where the shoulder starts and its about 35 gr.

I shot the REAL bullets over Crisco-infused 0.45" felt punches (easily made by microwaving a bowlful with a couple of big spoonfuls of shortening. No leading detected.

These REAL bullets are 200 gr vs ~125 gr PRB, and so I think they'll be better for hunting. I also suspect that they may provide longer range, but I'll have to find-out next time at 100 yds (I only shot at 50 yds today and dry balled before going to 100 - first time I've done that). I was able to trickle a bit of powder behind the ball that resulted in it moving about half way down the barrel. When I got home I drilled-out the touch hole to 1/16 (which I'd been planning on doing anyway) and the powder flowed right in. I must have got a lot more in than when I was at the range because instead of a little poof it was a full-blown discharge. Good thing the neighbors don't live too close. I'll have to inspect the backyard picnic table for a 45 cal hole tomorrow.

user posted image

Here are two 50 yd groups with 200 gr 45 cal REAL bullets. The left is with an 8 x 57 case full of fffg, the right with a 30-06 case full of fffg.

Tried some groups at 100 yds but had a hard time keeping them on paper even with the 30-06 case full charge.

I think I'll try a 376 Steyr case-full next.

Spiris, how does your pistol handle PRBs compared to the REAL bullets?

I have used the .440 ball from the mold, but being the lazy guy that I am, I have only tried them with Butler creek poly patches, not the pioneer style spit wads. Seems I remember 3 to 4 inch at 25 yds. The REAL would go 2 to 3 inch pretty consistently off a rest. It's fun, but I hate the cleanup. I haven't shot it in 3-4 years.

Spiris