Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Any projects ???

Horsefly

I’ve been following everyone’s projects with interest. Here’s my humble reclamation effort, a Shapleigh King Nitro .22 single shot (really a rebranded Stevens Springfield Model 15, very similar to the one I posted in another topic here) that I got at auction for $50. Someone had tacked something to the stock, or maybe was notching KIA squirrels like Dr. Hess above, but the stock was in bad shape. The metal was rusty, and I’m still figuring out the extractor, which doesn’t extract. Still, it looks a lot prettier than it did. The before & after:

IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0430.jpeg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't tell you how many boxes of 22 I shot through one of those when I was a kid.  A box of 50 lasted a long time in a single shot.  My grandfather had a bolt action repeater.  A box of 50 went through that one in no time at all.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I bought this 22 rimfire silencer from Silencer Central.  Really smooth purchase experience, just took like 8 or 9 months.  Anyway, as I didn't have any threaded barrel 22LR's, I had bought that Ruger take down 10-22.  Looking through my pistols, I have this Buck Mark with a slab side barrel, not threaded.  Bought a threaded barrel for it, which was expensive, but the only one I could find.  Then, with my eyesight getting flaky from presbyopia causing that front site to vanish in a blur, I thought a red dot on it would be good.  Of course, there is no way to mount a red dot on the Buck Mark as it came.  So, you have to buy a new top piece that connects the back of the barrel to the back of the frame.  $85 on amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07565BFCC

Next up:  Red dot.  I bought a Cyelee Calf X1, which fits Vortex, Docter base styles and comes with a picatinny mount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FZMSFVY

$115.  I unscrewed it from the picatinny mount and screwed it to the outerimpact top.  It has the "snooze" feature, or what they call "shake awake," where if you put it down, it will turn itself off until it moves again.  I really like that and have that feature on my Sig Romeo5's.  I hate to forget and leave one one and have it run down the battery in the safe. It is highly rated on amazon.  My first red dot optic for a handgun.  Takes some getting used to, and I can see where the gun writers say it takes longer to get on target with them versus regular open sights, but you can be more accurate.

Fun to shoot.  Not "Hollywood" quiet by any means, but you don't need hearing protection for it. 

BuckMarkloaded.thumb.jpg.575cf5d68109a270009702df7b42ce4b.jpg

Well, you can do it all yourself, or you can let Silencer Central do all the work for you, which I highly recommend.  You call them up, tell them what you want, give them money, they send you fingerprint cards, directions, ink and a return envelope, you take your prints and mail them back, you get the wife to take a photo of you against a white wall with your cell camera and send it to them, they create a special firearms trust for you to hold the titles to the suppressors, send off all the paperwork to the feds and you wait.  The first one took 13 months, if I recall.  The second one went on the "fast" E-File route, and only took 8 or 9 months.  Then they get all the paperwork and the tax stamp back from the feds, you do some E-signing and they mail you the suppressor and paperwork USPS direct to your mail box.  Actually, they mail it to an FFL dealer in your state who then mails it to your mailbox, but that's just technical.  I suggest being home when it arrives.

Well, I put a target up at about 25 ft, broke out the 1916 Mauser and my 7 bullets, 2 cast, 5 140GR, cut my zip tie sights to be "somewhere on the paper, I hope" and tried it out.  The 2 cast bullets went a foot low and a foot to the left, foot to the right.  Not so good, but no keyholes.  The 5 140GR boattail soft points put 3 in the same hole and 2 about 2 inches from that hole.  So, I'm kinda thinking that this barrel will shoot.  Still not sure what to do, as I kinda want a 308 and I have this 308 barrel sitting here.

• 6 months later...

Honestly I hadn't thought of it at the time I started doing it. I just did it without thinking about it just as an effort to make my work easier is all and it works. This is the way Ill do it from now on. I have had the barrel on hand tight to scribe some lines with a pencil to outline the barrel channel for later inletting. 

A few years ago, I bought some Brownells inletting black.  At the time I thought I spent a fortune for a half ounce of paint with grease, however, dealing with those Spanish rifles, it came in very handy and I'll have to say it works great.

Yeah, none of the office supply stores have it. One didn't even know what it was. Amazon has it dirt cheap.

For action inletting, try a chisel tipped large sanford sharpie marker. It transfers super easy and no mess whatsoever.  When finished  simply remove it with thinner 

I have also found that whiteboard marker works great as a dye-chem replacement.  I have dye-chem too, but the whiteboard marker is more convenient, dries faster and is probably cheaper.  Was very handy when I was trying to get that Spanish M43 safety to work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a Turk k.Kale that someone started and bogged down...Bought fairly inexpensively.. Came with a 270 Barrel.

I do Not necessarily care for 270, and that darn action wouldn't feed it anyway...Gone!

Fooled around with it alot different barrels ...8mm, 7mm, for quite a time... recently decided to screw a "project" 300 Savage barrel on... talk about a SOB to make Feed!!!! Believe me...the Follower is extremely important...on that Turk anyway!!! Feeds like butter Now.. Blasting up some Cast Boolits Now!!

I was gifted a box of another mans trash that has become my treasure. So I have some projects utero now. Which has put me on the hunt for some orphaned large ring receivers to marry up to my parts and make some more bang sticks. Not only was there Mauser parts but there is 4 1903 Springfield extractors that are in excellent condition.

IMG_1190.thumb.jpg.0574d0e893ca84bdcdd573e5dbae432a.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I was gifted a box of another mans trash that has become my treasure. So I have some projects utero now. Which has put me on the hunt for some orphaned large ring receivers to marry up to my parts and make some more bang sticks. Not only was there Mauser parts but there is 4 1903 Springfield extractors that are in excellent condition.

IMG_1190.thumb.jpg.0574d0e893ca84bdcdd573e5dbae432a.jpg

Speakin of Extractors....If you can Spare a Mauser 98 Extractor...please shoot me a Price. Please

Marty

Will be looking for additional stuff that can leave here...as I am getting rid of some "stuff"

LMK what is needed...besides Receivers..fresh outta them!!! That Turk was the last, excepting them in Original trim...

Marty:

I wish that I had a 98 extractor so I could at least complete one of the bolt bodies that you see in the picture. I don't have any of those at all. The extractors that are in the picture are the 1903 Springfield extractors and one 93/95 extractor. Up until yesterday I had almost no large ring parts. I'm sorry that I cant help in that way besides if I had one to let go of I'd just send it to you without charge. It would be a way of paying it forward. 

Apex gun parts and so does Sarco have them in stock along with some cocking pieces that I also need to complete the bolt bodies in the pictures. If I don't find any of the parts I need to complete a build from my usual network. I'll be using the vendors that I mentioned a couple of sentences ago.

I still have to inventory and clean up the bounty that I have acquired. Once that is done I'll have better understanding of what exactly it all is that I have on hand then I 'll have to find a place for storage or homes for it all. 

It just baffles the hell out of me as to the reasoning why someone who clearly knew what this stuff is would just decide to throw it all in the trash. I'm grateful that my friend stepped into rescue those parts and save me some shekels in the process. He is one of my old Army friends that retired about the same time I did.

Jeremy