Military Firearm Restoration Corner

new wild cat?

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

I think it was Barnes of "Cartridges of the World" fame who once experimented with a line he called "The Thermos Bottle" using 20mm brass necked down to insanely small bullet sizes - 50, 30, 264... Sounds like just the sort of thing you're looking for. laugh.gif

There was an article I read several years ago possibly in one of the Digest Books about some extreme wildcats. One in paticular 50 BMG down to 22 or 25, and 378 Weatherbys down to smaller calibers. Most of the extreme wildcats destroyed barrels within 10 shots or less.

Sorry about the jab this morning Claton, just couldn't resist. Seriously, before investing time money and material in your idea you should do some serious research. There are numerous sources for pertinent study, I'm reluctant to recommend a particular one but "Cartridges of the World" is a good place to start just to get a handle on whats already out there. Don't mean to sound discouraging but there are so many cartridges in existence that will kill deer and much larger game stone dead at any range, I just can't see justification for such project. That's MY opinion. If you really, really want to persue it don't let me discourage you. Keep in mind though that there are many variables in ballistics and a bigger case does not always equate to a faster, flatter shooting round. Also as noted above, squirting a high volume of very hot flame through a small nozzle is how you cut steel - i.e. such cartridges are typically barrel burners.

Clayton, if all you want is a "Long Range Deer Rifle" then there is no need for a massively over bore wildcat.

I think you could achieve the results you are looking for with a 300 Win mag.

If you want a wildcat just to have a wildcat, look into necking down the 376 Steyr or 9.3x64 Brenneke to 30 cal. But they probably won't perform any better than a 7.62 Lazzeroni or 300 Weatherby Magnum.

There is no point in wildcatting cartriges anymore, there is a standardized cartrige out there for every purpose.

Jimro

What you are wanting to create is a Dakota cartridge with a rebated rim. Seems to be a lot of trouble to recreate what already exists although you may be able to do it with a Dakota reamer, a standard magnum boltface, a Dakota die set and Remington brass. I do not know the brass dimensions well onough offhand to know if it would work although it would be very close. If it did it would let someone have a wildcat with their name on it and not need a custom reamer.

What you are wanting to create is a Dakota cartridge with a rebated rim. Seems to be a lot of trouble to recreate what already exists although you may be able to do it with a Dakota reamer, a standard magnum boltface, a Dakota die set and Remington brass. I do not know the brass dimensions well onough offhand to know if it would work although it would be very close. If it did it would let someone have a wildcat with their name on it and not need a custom reamer.

10039[/snapback]

Negative Ghostrider - This too has already been done.

Here Tis on AR: Right Here

And here's the official webpage: Click Here

Now granted, these are big bore cartridges, but I believe this guy has plans to neck them down to small calibers someday as well.

Another guy did up an 8mm wildcat on the Ultramag case but I cannot remember where that link is.

Generally, if you can think it up...someone's already done it. Which I guess begs the question: is wildcatting dead?

And, wouldn't you like to get a look at the full list of wildcat designs the various reamer makers have made reamers for over the years. Between the reamer makers and RCBS's old custom die shop, I'm betting you'd find a literal blizzard of neat and interesting cartridges.

Clayton, good luck with yours. One thing I'll throw out is you really aught to get good with handloading conventional cartridges before you dive off into wildcatting. It will be far better to work up loads for something well known than something you'll have to SWAG a bit to get good results. Trust me...

Jason

On a Mauser action what you're looking for is a 280 rem. If you need to hit them farther you need to stalk closer.

If you can find a cool old bolt action in 284 Win, you're done.

If you want to run down to Wal-Mart I'm sure that you can find a rem 700 in 7mm Mag, but I know, that's really boring.

I hate to be a bummer, but short of some new lazer weapon, if you want to kill a deer with a bullet these will do the job as well as anything you can put together.

And I don't think wildcatting is dead. I just think that it's getting harder-and-harder to come up with a niche that available cartridges don't fill. If you're serious about killing deer at > 400 yds you don't need a cartridge, you need a benchrest rifle and a lot of practice shooting at long range. A barrel-burning cartridge is not going to allow you to practice enough. A 30-06 will, a 7 mm Mag might. What you really need is an accurate rifle, a good scope, buku practice under field conditions and the discipline required to see these things through. The cartrige you choose to do these things is really a secondary concern.

The 7mm RUM is a 404 Jeffrey necked down to 7mm...it'll go in one side of a deer and blow out the other with a helluva lotta meat damage.

If you want a screamer in 6.5 mm, check out the 6.5-284. The benchrest crowd loves it, burns barrels really quick.

Of course you could neck down the 7mm RUM to 6.5, but I don't know how much extra performance you could wring out of it...

Jimro

Clayton,

No 1 is against it. U do it first and shell out the crazy amounts of $$$ it costs for custom reamers & dies only to duplicate the ballistics of rounds already out there.

E4

Is on to something.

The 6.5x(8x57) would have greater capacity than the 6.5x57. The 8x57 has the shoulder further foward than the 7x57 which the 6.5x57 is based on. Very little gain for the $$$ involved. A 6.5-06 has even more capacity and is semi-legit.

I'm stickin wit my 6.5x55. It's cheap, efficient, accurate, and deadly.

As previosly mentioned, the Dakota line of cartridges sounds like what you describe. Based on the 404 jeffery, the 7mm Dakota, is listed with 140 gr. at 3400 fps. Necked to 6.5 and designed to work through a standard Mauser action, and being quite over-bore,

sounds like your cup of tea. Barrel life will suffer of course, but will flat-ass fast. The .264 Win Mag would be a more sensible choice IMHO.

Spiris