Military Firearm Restoration Corner

To Sporterize or Not to sporterize that is the question?

Jeremy

In light of my recent posts on this forum. I think you guys and gals have probably figured out by now that I have no problem with doing so. Which brings me to ask the question. Where do you all dry the line when choosing a platform/action to create a sporter or restoration back to original condition?  

I only bring this topic up because I have had a couple of pleasant and unpleasant encounters with people recently when it comes to acquiring parts for my most recent build. I probably should have told the last guy that had the parts that I need that I was restoring and not creating a sporter and he would've sold me the parts. I didn't think anything of it when I said that I am creating a sporter when he asked what are you going to do with the parts? Hell it's none of his business anyway. That is the first thought that crossed my mind after walking away empty handed. 

After that experience I have had some time to reflect and try to rationalize what he was trying to say. He said to me and I'm quoting him. You are going to ruin the collector value by doing that. I didn't entertain him at the time with my rational by explaining that all I have are barreled actions and nothing more to start with. While I am close to finishing my 6th Spanish sporter I am looking for my next build. This time I'd like to restore one. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the price of parts. 

Lets think about that for a minute. I do understand the difference between an a complete #'s matching, in better shape complete firearm or a museum quality piece. I wouldn't dream of butchering something like that to create a sporter out of it. I would consider restoration or a thorough disassembly to give a cleaning and health check up if that is all that is needed. Also keep in mind I have no safe queens in my house. I use my guns to their purpose but that isn't to say I wouldn't collect them as safe queens. I just don't have any that I would say are worthy of that title or do I? Yes I do because I have brought 5 back to life now in the form of sporters and they will be family heirlooms for my children because I built them. 

What are your thoughts?

I look at it like this:  It's your rifle.  Do what you want.  Now, for MY rifles, I've built "sporters" from a bare receiver and bought sporters that someone else hacked up.  I don't care.  However, if I have something that is rare and unique and worth a lot of money because of that, I am not inclined to sporterize it.  Like that numbers matching barreled receiver small ring Turk.  I just can't bring myself to hack it up, swap barrels, bend the bolt, etc. on it.  It really needs a Turk stock and it would be worth 5 times what I paid for it.  And the Spanish 1916 I'm working on, it's really worthless, but I want it "military" so I'm trying to keep it that way.  Just because.  So, if you have a complete rifle, today worth $600+, it's hard to hack it up to something when you can sell it and buy a better rifle at Walmart for half that.  Just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

I look at it like this:  It's your rifle.  Do what you want.  Now, for MY rifles, I've built "sporters" from a bare receiver and bought sporters that someone else hacked up.  I don't care.  However, if I have something that is rare and unique and worth a lot of money because of that, I am not inclined to sporterize it.  Like that numbers matching barreled receiver small ring Turk.  I just can't bring myself to hack it up, swap barrels, bend the bolt, etc. on it.  It really needs a Turk stock and it would be worth 5 times what I paid for it.  And the Spanish 1916 I'm working on, it's really worthless, but I want it "military" so I'm trying to keep it that way.  Just because.  So, if you have a complete rifle, today worth $600+, it's hard to hack it up to something when you can sell it and buy a better rifle at Walmart for half that.  Just my opinion.

^^ This... ^^^ Well Said... Lately.. I have changed my mind on a Couple...leavin 'em..  Gots plenty of Projects anyway..

Collector value of an enemies weapon of war is kinda gruesome for me. Sorta like collecting pics. of plane and car crashes or funeral home mortician instruments. I do love my M1’s and all our battle rifles, but not the guns that shot at my Dad,Grandpas and uncles. I’ve never sportered a Mauser that was so called collector grade. Everyone has been from parts or had barrels chopped and mostly drilled and tapped for scopes. I have 2 complete all no. matching Swedes in full battle dress and a Swede 94 that stock has been chopped that I can’t sporterize cause I’m holding out for a miracle finding a stock I can afford. I have no qualms at sporterizing and rifle that shot at Americans or Allies. At the availability and price of parts, I see the death of our hobby. 

• 1 month later...

For me, it's about condition then if it's rare.  I bought many u-fix-em just for the receivers.  I got to save a few because some of them just missing a screw or something small that was easy to find.  Other had a nasty unusable bore from using corrosive ammo.  I am coming to the end of those receivers and will be done.

Rob