Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Operations Manor and Chow Hound

FC

My Dutch friend wrote, 

"I just got back from my grand parents and my grand father can still remember the food bombers when he was a child.
They kept him alive in the final stage of the war, he lived near Amsterdam, and their vegetable garden was running empty, specially since the winter was extremely harsh that year."

Never heard of that.  I'll ask my mother if she remembers anything about it, but here memory is about gone.  She was a good bit south of that area in Breda, closer to the Belgium border and would have been about 10 during that time.

Cool.  At one time, Belgium and The Netherlands were one kingdom.  As near as I can tell, at one point Belgium said "We're going to be our own country" and The Netherlands said "Yeah, whatever."  Just after the war, mom went to live with relatives in Antwerp.  She got Hep A.

Mom said she remembered that the bombers dropped food, but it was not where she was in Breda, but further north in Amsterdam.  She said that they had smuggled food and some local food production.  The smuggled food was very expensive.