Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Great plan.

Racepres

Well I thought it was a no brainer... Got the barrel off of my 1916 [very clean 7.62] Was gonna put it on my Turk!!! Bummer the threads are only abt .565 and the shoulder is already nearly turned off... not enough left to take anymore... Oh well off I go.. but if you check even tho the headspace was OK on the 1916, as it was, how could it be safe w/ so much of the case head unsupported??? Well apparently it wasn't , upon measuring , the ring [of the receiver] seems to have been shortened also!!! No wonder it didn't fit the stock so good... too bad the turk reworked 98's aren't small rings,, I would have a real freak!!!! Good for a chuckle anyway I hope. MV

I've never taken the barrel off my 1916, and am still trying to get a '95 bolt for it. I got it without a bolt, and '95 bolts used to be available. Not anymore!

Since I did a stupid thing and inletted a custom stock for this thing (figuring I could always get a bolt later) now I am stuck with it. Oh, I have several Chilean Modelo 95s that have been sporterized with the new bolt handle, etc. and I could rob one from them (if they headspace correctly). But I doubt if I'll go to the trouble of removing the .308 Win. barrel from this rework. I can get a new '308 Win. barrel on sale for what it would cost me in trouble to cut a new shoulder on it. I didn't know that the new shoulder would be necessary for a Turk receiver.

Thanks for that news. I'll use the stock for a '93 action. You can still get parts for those.

It's that damned round vs flat bolt that makes the '95 different from the '93. It's the way it is nowadays. When I got into this back in 1963, the first rifles I worked with were the '93 and the '95. There were many more of them in circulation on the surplus market than '98s.

Now it's the other way around.

fritz

Fritz... look at yer 1916 carefully, Mine uses a flat bottom bolt like a 93, in fact a round bolt from my chilean 95 won't go at all Yep just double checked... Chilean 95 ... round 1916 mex... flat. and my 1916 is matching.. I think I saw 93 bolt for sale somplace... I'lll let ya know. I'm gonna screw it back together and put a chamber adapter in it [7.62X39] and let the youngest boy shoot the tar out of some cheap surplus ammo... MV BTW the shoulder would have to be moved on mine to get the barrel back to the inner ring, on the k.kale.... just tryin my hand at humor abt the rework turks...