Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shaw barrels

AzRednek

Does anybody have any experience either good or bad, or any knowledge with Shaw barrels?? Thought I might try them and the prices do seem reasonable. I would rather pay an additional 60 bucks, have it installed and be done with it.

I've got one in 25-06, 26" that puts 75 gr Hornady V-Max's into .3" groups all day. That's my coyote load. 120 gr Sierra Game Kings do almost as well but I am still working on those loads. I expect them to end up at least that good.

Don..Fouling has not been a problem at all in my 280AI barrel... I have a couple of rifles with A&B barrels..and they foul some..but not to the extent that I have heard others complain about..my Shaw barrel doesn't have a fouling problem at all.

With the discount you can get the standard barrel for 120 bucks delivered...so it figures out to about a 25.00 discount when you figure shipping.

Zeeriverrat

Rat do you have any problems with the long 28 inch barrel being cumbersome on a hunt or do you just use it for target shooting?? My 35 Whelen with a McGowen 24" is a little on the long side, wish I had it cut and crowned at 22 instead. I know I need at least 24 with the belted mag.

My 280AI barrel is 26" and I built it as a beanfield/clearcut rifle to be used out of deer stands...so I don't expect it will be too cumbersome for my purposes.. I left it that long intentionally to get all the velocity I could out of my AI...but that being said..if it turns out to be too cumbersome or my hunting style changes I can always lop it off... I used my 35 Whelen in the S TX brush hog hunting last Dec and it it wasn't a problem with it's 24" barrel...so an extra 2"s might not be a big deal for me...

The 338-06 barrel I have ordered from Shaw is supposed to be 24"...but I am already thinking about shortening it to 22"....but I will wait and see how it turns out before I make a final decision on shortening it...decisions, decisions, decisions....

Zeeriverrat..

I have to agree with zee on the fouling. My Shaw barrel isn't bad at all. With the exception of a 308 A&B barrel I got several years ago none of the other A&B's that I have used have fouled badly either. I lapped the one I had a problem with and it is still accurate and isn't fouled badly after 100 rounds of full pressure target loads. They have to be one of the best budget deals out there.