Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Henry V arrowhead removal

FC

Early OMF surgery.  The key to his survival was wound care.  Interesting that the top docs at the time were all over wound care.  And in an era long before antibiotics.  And his statements of Galen about him watching a body decompose is what was said, but likely not true.  It was illegal to cut open bodies to study, but the knowledge he had and wrote was much more than would be available from watching a body decompose on the side of a river.   Likewise, Michelangelo and da Vinci both had drawings that far exceeded any knowledge gained from not doing dissections.  Da Vinci's was massively wrong. 

https://uploads5.wikiart.org/images/leonardo-da-vinci/drawing-of-a-woman-s-torso.jpg

I don't think Michelangelo tended to fudge his anatomy drawings like that.

I have a circa 1900 medical textbook.  It is amazing how much has not changed.  And I have a 5000-ish year old medical book (Indian.)  Many of the surgical procedures are still done today.  That book in particular has interesting diagnostics and treatments of various diseases.  There is a lot of "if the patient has this, this, and this, walk away, there's nothing you can do..."