Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Feral cat stuck

FC

We had one that came with the house.  Two, actually, brother and sister.  They couldn't catch them, so they stayed with the house.  The male made it maybe 5 years before something happened to him and he stopped coming around.  The female lived 17 years.  One summer, she went on a killing spree, just before retirement.  She brought home something dead every day.  Then she was done.  Her hearing was shot, probably eyesight too, but she lived several years more.

They have a lot of feral problems.  Cats, rats, rabbits, who knows what else.  Most of those come from people trying to be God (TBG.)  Like the cats in the Galapagos.  Rats infested the islands because the ships landed and they snuck ashore.  So rats were taking over.  I know, let's put some cats there to keep the rats down.  The cat population took off.  They didn't kill the rats, too much work.  They went after the birds that had never seen a cat.

After our outside cat passed, all the males stopped coming around.  I figured one would stay, or maybe a female would show up.  Nothing.  We used to get them all the time, now nothing.  Maybe the college kids stopped dumping them.  So, with no outside cats, the rats and squirrels took off.  I was getting a lot of damage, leading to the GWoS (Global War on Squirrels) and finally getting some rat poison for the rats and mice.  There's 2 kinds of rat poison, that I've found anyway.  There's the kind that takes many feedings to kill them and there's the kind that takes 1 feeding.  After going through buckets of the multi-feed kind with limited success, I bought  bucket of the good stuff, which is hard to find.  Put it all around and a week later, the whole property smelled of death.  It was great.