Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New California neighbors

Horsefly

Met them yesterday and am struggling with 1st impression. Made fun of me saying shopping buggy instead of cart. Saying cornhole in mixed crowd makes me cringe and the dude wouldn’t drink my beer when he seen it was Miller. Wonder what I said that might have offended them ? I’m sure they cracked up over my Texas redneck slang. Just never had anybody except a beer then turn it down when they see the brand. I’m going to make them a good neighbor no matter what they say or do. Our differences orta make it fun. 

That's pretty strange.  Most people who flee a state like the PRC try really hard to fit in to wherever they go.  And turning down a beer because of the brand, just plain not understanding "friendly."

I remember sitting at a bar in Diego Garcia, a top secret military base in the South Indian Ocean, drinking with my crew mates and some of the jar head kids.  Having lived in the south and deep south for quite a while by then, I had picked up the vocabulary and ditched the California-isms.  I said something "... y'all..." and the kids just started laughing.  Pretty strange.  Didn't bother me, I just thought they were stoopid.  I asked one of the Marines who had a Harley tattoo if he was in to Harleys.  His friends started chuckling, is he into Harleys, ha ha....  So I said "I have a 79 FLH Classic.  What do you have?"  "Uh... uh... I don't have one but I'm gonna get one when I get back...."

Anyway, after the new neighbors have been there a while, they'll start to fit in, or leave.  Probably a good time to set off some artillery in the back yard each evening.  Weren't you building a 257 Roberts? 

Hard for me to see humor in Into Harleys. I’m sure new folks cracked up later about me saying y’all, but them saying you guys is way weird to me. I have cousins in Cali that say you guys and a son-in-law from Kentucky that says that and uses awesome and bazar a lot. Don’t hear those words much in Southern Slang. Oh ya, the .257 turned into 6.5x55. Talk to y’all later. Need to light a shuck and get busy. 

All the people that I've met who are fleeing Kalifornia are doing so for economic reasons only. They seem to bring their commie ideals with them.

In my opinion, Kalifornia, Oregon, and Western Washington state should be treated as a leaper colony and no one allowed out.

The new folks aren’t really rude. I think just way overwhelmed in culture differences. I have Boston neighbors that’s a whole different kinda cat. Can’t pour piss outta a boot with instructions on the heal but look down on anything Southern. He says his hockey stick by his bed is as good as a gun. Stupidest thing I’ve heard grown man say out load. May be right if crook kicks in door swinging a tennis racquet. 

I could see that.  I mean, someone breaks into your house, sneaks up to your bedroom in the middle of the night and starts scooting hockey pucks at you across the floor.  What are you going to do?  A hockey stick would come in really handy right then.