Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Television Germany 1935-1937

FC

I dunno.  There was not a whole lot of actual TV footage in there.  Mostly film.  TV in that era was extremely crude.  A spinning disk inside the tube to move the electrons around, for example.  Resolution was by today's standards quite horrible.  Postage stamp size, blown up.  And there was no way to record a TV broadcast except to take a film movie of the transmission.  Even in I Love Lucy days of the 1950's, 20 full years after these German TV shows, let's say, filming a monitor with the broadcast on it was the only way to record it.  It's called Telecine.  So, I'm saying that the yoo toobe is not actual German TV of the 30's, but a film about German TV.

I thought it was actual TV footage. Seemed awfully early. The Germans sure loved technology.

Speaking of the Germans, Scotty Kilmer, the mechanic, says that German cars are no longer something to buy. Too much technology, and the build quality is going downhill. 

I've got 232,000 miles on my 2016 Civic, and it's still running fine. It's had its problems, but not with the engine, but it's stuff like a/c, display, and moon roof. 

Here's an example of the technology used back then, starting at about the 1 minute mark.

German cars have had problems for quite a while now.  At one point, 80's or 90's, I forget, they had caved to the "greens" who were complaining that the landfills were filling up with plastics, and they changed the wire insulation to a biodegradable one based on soy.  Yeah, a biodegradable electrical insulation.  What could possibly go wrong, huh?  And rodents just loved the stuff if it didn't break down all by itself in your garage.  The German tendency to never design anything in one piece when you could design it with 3 instead causes problems too.

About 15 years ago, I worked with a guy that had a really nice, big BMW sedan.  I don't recall the model, but it was the big one.  One day he shows up to work in a beautiful brand new Toyota Avalon, black with gold trim.  I asked him what happened to the beemer.  He said "Well, that was my dream car.  I had finally got to a point in my life that I could afford it and bought one.  It was in the shop all the time.  The last time, yet another check engine light, it cost me $3000 to fix.  You know what the problem was?  It was the gas cap.  I said, that's it.  Uncle.  I give up.  I went to the Toyota dealer to go buy a Camry.  We looked on the lot, picked one out and the sales guy and I were walking back to the office to do the paperwork.  We walked by this beautiful Avalon and I looked at sticker.  I said 'Hey, this is cheaper than the Camry out there.'  He said 'That's our advertised special.  If I sell that, I don't make any money.'  I said 'Forget that.  I'm buying this one, write it up.'"