Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Apricot crop

Horsefly

I had a surprise crop of apricots. Wasn’t much blooming but man did it load up. This is too south for them but was a weird spring. I never spray the tree just because outta about 10 years this is the second time the tree had fruit. 3 years ago there was a big crop and a worm in every one. This year not one single worm so far. The squirrels didn’t hit them but had to fight blue jays, mockingbirds and house finches for my share. 

C71EFBE3-DCC4-44A7-BB7E-50956673B82B.jpeg

E4155E57-F5D1-43A7-B264-20B54C2DAB92.jpeg

Wow, that's a lot.  And I'm surprised that they came in so early.  At least for us, it would be very early.  I have an apple tree and 2 peach trees.  We had a few peaches last year, like 2 on one tree and more on the other that never ripened, and a bunch of apples.  It was the first time for a decent apple crop from that tree for us and we planted it about 20 years ago.  I see nothing growing on anything this year.  We had some late freezes after the blooms were already out, and I think that did them in.  But, I suck at farming.

The apricots being early is the reason this isn’t good area for apricots and apples. We normally have spring like weather a couple weeks in February then hard freezes 1st of March. Supposedly Texas A&M bred a variety of apricots for North Texas, but I’ve not seen them. There’s apples that do ok here, but I don’t care for them. Bitter green apples like Granny Smith but still not as good. I’m too far south for rhubarb, cherries,apples and apricots. I put this post under Hobbies because most stuff I grow goes to cows and goats because yuppie townies don’t can or freeze produce or even cook.