Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Back

karlunity

I was taking care of the Hippie as she was a bit under the weather. But we are back.

No offence Doc  or FC but some of your colleagues scared the hell out of me  and I am happy to report they were WRONG. :)

karl

Hippies are organic health nuts. Me donut or burger and beer and I am happy. But the flower child wants organic and even beer I drink must be  in glass bottles!  Told her she should eat like me to be healthy   Got the WIFELOOK!

karl

Yeah, I have my own hippie.  Know what you mean, Karl.

You should make your own beer, like me.  You know exactly what's in it, no extra chemicals, you can bottle it or keg it, costs are around $25 for two cases (48 bottles).

Make beer?  Easy.  Takes about 2 hours, most of which is waiting for the pot to boil.  Briefly:

Bring large pot with some water to boil.  Add malt and more water.  Bring back to low boil.  Add hops, low boil for 30 min.  Add hops.  Low boil for 25 minutes.  Put in 5 gal water bottle, add water and yeast, seal with a gas lock.  Wait a week.  Pour off beer into bottles (add some honey first) or directly (no honey) into keg with CO2.  Wait 6 weeks if in bottles or 3 days if in a keg.  Drink.

That explains how easily Martin Luther's wife made his beer. No fancy still stuff. 

Back onto the initial topic- I read last night that research has shown muscadine grapes (which grow on my property), in non-alcoholic form, were show to help with aging skin by increasing moisture and elasticity. Your wives might be interested. Etsy sells it the cheapest, I think. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/polyphenols#what-they-are

We used to have a lot of muscadine on the property we had near Calvert, TX.  Linda made jelly with it once.  Didn't gel, so more like thick syrup in that batch.  We have what looks to be muscadine growing all over here too, but I've not seen any grapes.  The f'in deer probably get them all first, like the blackberries.

People have been making beer for over 20,000 years.  Probably way before that, but that's been found by the archeologists.  I call this The Society Built on Beer.  Anyway, can't be too complicated or need too much stuff if they were doing it 20K years ago.

Made beer in NY. ( over filled once and the bottle blew)  went to a stainless steel container.  Gave it up as the desert in Cali  did not have the cold temp it needed

nor does Florida

Karl

I just leave the bottle on the kitchen floor to ferment.  The house, being air conditioned, stays in they 70's and that works just fine.  You need cold if you want a lager, but with a regular yeast, no problem at all.  And the yeast I use is the same strain I've been using for years.  It seems to have adapted to 75F without any trouble.  That is, summer (75+F on the floor) or winter (70F on the floor) no problems, just happy making bubbles for us. Yeah, don't over fill the bottles.  Leave an inch in the neck.  My friends in my fraternity would use 2L soda bottles.  Brew, ferment, bottle in those, ready for the next party.