Military Firearm Restoration Corner

BBQ Pit

FC

I'll look at that idea, but I don't see how to tie them back in the lid down position. I thought about metal slopes attached to the vertical angle iron. Hopefully the brick survives fires. That's why I lined the firebox with antique brick.

Try lifting the lid until the weights just start touching, then tie off a lead on them and pull it so they don't touch, but make it long and anchor it as far back as practical so there is plenty of arc to the swing.  Otherwise, yeah, some plate or something to guide them away from the edge, or add an extension to the vertical part, moving the pulley back a few inches.

• 2 weeks later...

Great pit. Wonder how many know what the weights were made for?  Years ago most rural communities had community centers that had pits like yours, and some churches too. Most didn’t have lids though. Orta be some good groceries coming off that smoker. Come on fall!

What about bolting a piece of angle iron like a cross at top where the pulley is and bolt on garage door pulley where pulley is now and another on back of cross piece to hold weights further back. 

I got those window weights from my church building windows. 

When I was a boy in S. Dakota, a BBQ was anything that dad put on the charcoal grill. Now my favorite, and specialty, is TX brisket, 11+ hours at the low 200s temp. I cooked ribs since I couldn't find brisket, and they came out fine. The lid of the fire box gets so hot I could just put hamburgers on top and cook them. 

I think the easiest, cheapest way to get the weights back is to buy a sheet of galvanized roofing and use that as a wall, and put the weights outside of it.