Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Doc or FC medical question

karlunity

Chemo or Immunology? 

Which would you in general suggest for a bladder cancer?

For any lawyers out there. This is just a matter of opinion from people I trust. Only I am responsible for ANY outcome

karl 

AS AN OPINION...

The only cure for a cancer is surgery.  If that choice is not available and given the choices between chemo or immunotherapy, I think I would start with the immunotherapy and see if that works.  If not, then you can always try chemo. 

Oncology isn't exactly my field either, but I've worked with a lot of cancer patients, and I am one myself.  As I said, there is only one cure:  Surgery.  If that is not available, which can be for several reasons, then the immunology stuff is all pretty new and I think worth a try.  I don't think it is damaging to the rest of the patient. 

Chemo, well, we all have to make our own choices.  There are some chemo/cancer combinations that work out well, and some that are just throwing out a tiny thread of hope that the patient and family grabs on to and little else.  That's why I put it last.  Personally, if it is chemo for me, I would look into it and ask:  What percentage of patients with what I have at the stage I have that get treated with chemo live 5 years out?  10 years?  (The have these numbers.  Don't be afraid to ask.)  I've seen too many given 6 months of horrible chemo that extended their life 6 months.  That is not worth it to me.  However, there are those that want every single possible thing done, no matter how slim the chance of survival, how horrible the treatment, side effects, or anything else. 

I have my line in the sand.  It is not a topic people like to think about, but having been in the business, I made my choices.  None of us get out of here alive anyway.

If you have to deal with this Karl, know that we are all here for moral support.

It depends on what type of cancer, where it is (metastasis?) what is available to treat, etc.  Biopsy, MRI, PET, CAT scans can help with all that information.  Some lung cancers have been treated with chemo quite well recently, with a fair chance at a 5 year survival.  Debulking with surgery first, depending on the size is helpful.  Like I said, one needs to discuss it thoroughly with an actual expert in the subject matter, and know what questions to ask.  And have an idea of what one expects out of the experience.  For example, if you did nothing and had 6 months to live, did chemo for 6 months of living hell and had an additional 6 months to live, what would you choose?  If it was 6 months to live, 6 months of chemo, 5 years to live, how would that affect your decision?

These are very hard things to think about.  I also am not one to sugar coat things very well.  To me, sugar coating interferes with the correct medical decision.  To some, it's the most important thing of a doctor-patient relationship.

I say tell it like it is. Truth is far far kinder in the long run.

What I find a blow in the rear is that the hippy went the organic food and PT and pure life  route years ago. I, left to myself, and eat candy bars, donuts  hamburgers and drink beer  (some of it cheap beer I love PBR )  and only PT if I have to . Yet, I am healthy..so far as I know and  the Hippy gets zapped. I do NOT like that.

karl

I look at it like this:  The years of healthy living likely prolong healthy life so that whatever hits you hits you later.

I've been a vegetarian for 35 years.  I was in pretty good health until COVID hit me in late '19, and again Jan 22.  It has been all downhill since.  I was down to 163 lbs a couple weeks ago, down from 186 before all this hit me.  I've had to start eating some fish to get the collagen to try to rebuild, which is the first meat I've eaten in 35 years.  Incidentally, you don't read about it in the MSM, but the shots OR the disease is associated with an increase in cancer and diabetes, among other things like blood clots, spontaneous abortion, cardiomyopathy, etc.  Good thing we're not on FB, or I think I would have just got banned.

I agree with you on the Vax. I know the history of plagues and saw the PC tell people that political demonstrations were ok. Unless the germs were woke it dont work that way.

As I post, we are letting 100s of thousands in the southern border with no health check..yet  Biden want us to worry and mask up?

Karl

As for me (karl) I say life is hard than you die,  But I do not apply this pov to any but myself.

I didn't know about the cancer and diabetes. 

Did the hippie use to smoke? My brother (I have five), got bladder cancer at age 40. Never smoked, but worked for the water department. The only possible issue I can think of. 

Karl, you should post a picture of you two.

Perhaps for a year or two in the 60's when it was expected..She was never a smoker.   

She made me promise NOT to post any pictures of her long ago.

Me? Your computer would refuse to post it. :(  The Hippy is the only one who thinks I look good :)

karl