Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Polytech M-14

ken98k

I just bought a Polytech m-14.     These were imported into the US until Clinton banned the importation in the 90's.

Now for a 600 mile round trip to pick it up. I'll post some photos Sunday.

I remember when those came out.  I've heard fairly good things about them. Let us know.

I am getting my first 308 rifle.  Or building it, it depends.  Or both maybe.  Small ring Spanish Mausers.  I don't have any 308 brass, so I'll have to make some from 30-06.

Here's what I got. Polytech M14S. Came with 4 mags, three 20 rounders (2 of the 20's are loaded) and one 5 round. Also came with a Bassett scope mount.
I have not fired
it yet but I did find that the safety catch wont engage. I removed the trigger group and found that if I push down on the hammer slightly the safety will operate so It looks like I'll have to do a little file work there.
Including gas to go pick it up, I've got under a grand into it, so I think I did okay.

m14s right.jpg

m14s left.jpg

Bassett Mount.jpg

Looks nice.  I was talking with the Chinese woman at work one day and mentioned that Chinese firearms, post revolution, are generally of excellent quality.  A bit rough in finish, perhaps, but otherwise quite reliable and do what they are designed to do.  Chinese SKS, AKM (MAK90), 1911a, etc.  She was surprised. 

I have a Norinco 1911A1 that I bought at a pawn shop.  It is very high quality, as good as a Colt.  Az used to say that custom 1911 gunsmiths would look for those to build their custom guns on because the steel was higher quality than anything else. 

I personally think that the Clinton ban on Chinese firearms and ammo was a good thing.  It caused the U.S. to start manufacturing guns and ammo here, instead of buying Chinese stuff, the guns being high quality, at a fraction of the price.  Remember the cheap SKS?  You could buy one for $80, brand new.  And wholesale was a fraction of that, like $20 or something by the pallet.  We could not produce the stock alone for that price point.  Anyway, because of Clinton's Chinese gun ban, we now have a healthy, robust American gun industry.  I rather suspect that was NOT what the Clintons had in mind when they did that.  Unintended consequences, like every other government mandate/law.