Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Arc Welding Thin metal

FC

I have an Italian MIG that was sold by HF in the 90's.  I run Argon with it so I can do stainless and aluminum.  I don't do much aluminum, but when you need it, you need it.  My stick (SMAW) welder is an old 230 amp Miller AC only.  That guy in the vid was running 6013 rod, which I think is a DC rod.  I have thought about building an array of high current diodes for it to run DC, but never got around to it.  It's what I use when something absolutely positively HAS to stick, like suspension A arms.  I have welded carbon steel, cast iron and stainless with it.  And I have acetylene, but I use that mostly for heating things, occasionally for cutting, pretty rarely for welding.  The MIG is my first GoTo.  I usually have it loaded with stainless wire, but I keep flux core handy for steel.  I run the flux core with the argon, so double shielded.

Oh yes.  Ophthalmologists have drops to remove the pain so they can examine the patient.  They have to keep them in their pockets because the patients steal them.  Today they have those fantastic auto darkening hoods.  That improved my welding more than anything else.