Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Great Brazing Tutorial

FC

Brazing is a quite strong joint, but requires close fitting.  Original Lotus 7 frames were brazed, not welded.  Probably all the other Lotus frames of tube construction of that era as well, including the formula 1 cars.  I would practice on some similar thin metal before putting the torch to your magazine.

None of mine are brazed.  The Locost 7, a Lotus 7 clone that I am building, has square 304 stainless tubing and I MIG it, with a little SMAW occasionally.  All my other Lotus are not tube based space frames.  The Europas are a box back bone originally.  I made a 304 stainless space frame in place of one, the other I haven't started on yet.  The 2 more modern ones have frames made from extruded aluminum.  A really big extruder.  Lotus pretty much put tube space frames behind them in the early 60's.

Now, the original Lotus 7s, as made by Lotus and not a clone, were made from round carbon steel tubing, and that was brazed. I suspect they used brazing to minimize distortion versus welding, but who knows.  They didn't exactly ever say why they did it that way.  The tubing wasn't that thin.  I think they were 16ga.  MAYBE 18, but I think 16.  Too thin to stick weld, but could be welded with gas, I would think.  Brazing would probably have a whole lot less "blow through... OOPS" events. 

Hard to find a pic of an original 7 frame online.  I have pics in books.  Here is a pic of a Lotus 11 frame, which is very, very similar to an original 7 frame:

image.jpeg.dd29fb0c5fb12ddb7ce57d2237904bcb.jpeg

In the 70's, some engineers took a 7 frame and built a 3D model with the latest at the time software to analyze forces, etc., and see what needed strengthening.  They were like "This thing will never work.  We'll beef it up to a point it will work" and would up doubling the weight of it.  Meanwhile real Lotus 7's were and still are one of the fastest vehicles on a race track up to 100 MPH.  After that, forget it, as they have "barn door" aerodynamics.  Chapman designed and built the 11 to be aerodynamic.  With a 100 HP Coventry Climax motor, it raced at Le Mans and won it's class.  It would do 140MPH down the back stretch, and it got 40+MPG throughout the race.