Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Aerodynamics

FC

I’ve been reading about truck aerodynamics. I’m on the way to Texas with my 2029 Ram 2500 diesel, and heavily loaded 16’ enclosed trailer. Normally I get 9-10 mpg, unless close behind a semi. I added these scraps to my enclosed trailer’s top and sides. Right now I’m getting 10.8 average mpg. Let’s see if that continues!

9DE06151-C04B-40B5-A6A2-F9963F8937EE.jpeg

Interesting.  Aerodynamics is a dark art.  For experimental purposes, you can attach (tape, glue, etc.) short pieces of string or yarn to the areas you are concerned with and then drive at your target speed.  For back there, have someone film the yarn and you can see what is happening.  But, an extra 10% in MPG is hard to argue with.

Shark Tank?

Good idea with the yarn.

I’ve been reading on aerodynamics. The little fin on cars diverts the air. I’m like, “Why’s there nothing for enclosed trailers? I’m guessing I’ll save $50 this trip. I read that a 5 or 6 inch fin, straight back, or turned slightly inward, is needed. Hills aren’t helped by fins, of course. I think plain old Lexan would ideal. 

• 1 month later...